Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Air sounds like fan turned on

My computer suddenly started to sound like a fan was on. It got quite loud and was warm.

I am using an external monitor and was on WebEx. I had a PowerPoint loaded, and it was when I was viewing the PowerPoint that this started to happen. I shut off the video from WebEx, and quickly grabbed a flashdrive to back up!

All seems well now.

I've used PP when webconferencing and have never had this happen before.

Thoughts?

D.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 12:37 PM

Normal

If you only hear it in a quiet room, that is normal.

noisy fan reasons:

A: you notice it more in a quiet room (the typical case) which is normal, all is AOK

B: fuzz and dust has caked onto the blades causing the fan hub to get off balance and make a buzzing sound.

C: fan rotor is going bad and making a whirring or buzz noise (rare).

D: Fan is spinning up due to excess heat from gaming, heavy graphics (typical, all is OK)

A and D are normal

B and C are not.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2014 12:37 PM in response to donnastewart

Normal

If you only hear it in a quiet room, that is normal.

noisy fan reasons:

A: you notice it more in a quiet room (the typical case) which is normal, all is AOK

B: fuzz and dust has caked onto the blades causing the fan hub to get off balance and make a buzzing sound.

C: fan rotor is going bad and making a whirring or buzz noise (rare).

D: Fan is spinning up due to excess heat from gaming, heavy graphics (typical, all is OK)

A and D are normal

B and C are not.

My Mac Air sounds like fan turned on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.