Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail puts multiple copies of my message in my trash when it sends

title says it all... I send the email using Mail, sometimes its ok, sometimes it creates many copies of the mail in trash... can even be over 50 at times!! just since mavericks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 1:58 PM

50 replies

Jan 11, 2014 6:20 AM in response to edwardlizard

Just as a theory. If you have "Store draft messages on the server" checked for an email account, Mail will save a copy on the server every so often. (I don't know if it is dependent on only the passage of time or might also depend on the frequency of changes you make.) The copies placed in the trash may be the previously saved intermediate copies.

Mail's relationship with Gmail changed in 10.9 and again in 10.9.1. This may be an area in which they don't have it quite right yet.

As for how to alleviate it, you might try unchecking "Store draft messages on the server" for your Gmail account. Of course, that means you can't suspend a draft on one Mac and pick it up later on another.

Jan 12, 2014 5:30 AM in response to markwmsn

markwmsn wrote:

Just as a theory. If you have "Store draft messages on the server" checked for an email account, Mail will save a copy on the server every so often. (I don't know if it is dependent on only the passage of time or might also depend on the frequency of changes you make.) The copies placed in the trash may be the previously saved intermediate copies.

More than just a theory. I unchecked "store draft messages on server" and the problem is gone.

Jan 12, 2014 7:26 AM in response to Strawb268

It's a good theory, and I think it's absolutely on point. But unfortunately, like some other people, my computer simply ignores my instruction to save the unchecked "store draft messages on the server." It just rechecks it and the problem continues. Guess I'll go talk to the Geniuses at the Apple store to see if they've come up with anything. Thanks, though.

Jan 26, 2014 6:52 AM in response to markwmsn

I thought you may have a bypass there to the problem. But as someonelse pointed out, when I uncheck the box on my mail account preferences for saving drafts, it ignores that and immediately resets the checkbox. Bizarre.

It's related to message length and time to compose for sure. Just now sent email taking one minute to compose with no amendments. 14 copies to the trash folder after sent. Thge other day a longer mail.... 5 to 10 mins to compose...... 56 !!!!!!!!! copies to trash.

Whose issue is this... apple or gmail?

how does one flag the problem to anyone able to do anything about it ?

Jan 26, 2014 7:39 AM in response to edwardlizard

I took my MacBook Air into Apple and the guy at the Genius Bar said he thought the problem was with gmail, so he removed my gmail program and reinstalled it. That seemed to help while I was at the store, but when I got home, the problem had returned. I'm going to have to take it back and have them try something else.

mail puts multiple copies of my message in my trash when it sends

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.