Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Storage is nothing but 'Other'

My macbook pro (version 10.7.5) is almost completely full and as it keeps reminding me my startup disk is full which causes everything to run painfully slow at times. I am very keen to clean up and so need to know what is taking up the most space, however when I try and view my storage use in 'about my mac' it shows; audio - zero KB, movies -zero KB, photos- zero KB, apps - zero KB, backups - zero KB and then 'Other' is shown to use 318.75 GB. it is very annoying because i need to figure out what to delete.

User uploaded file

I'd really appreciate any help i can get

cheers, Joakim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 4:07 PM

5 replies

Jan 10, 2014 11:28 AM in response to nbar

I suspect, however, upon looking at your free space, the computer is booting into safe mode because there is not enough space on the startup volume to boot normally. You need atleast 8GB of free space to boot OSX. You should have 15% of your HD space free at all times. Free up 20 GB of space. Unload large media file or archivable documents onto an external storage device or cloud based service if need be (note, you will have to delete these documents for your hardrive after unloading them, since they are automatically copied , not moved to external storage).

Macbook Pro Storage is nothing but 'Other'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.