Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create my own custom software instruments on the most recent Garageband 10.0.1?

So I want to add my own sounds to a software intrument using the musical typing keyboard and on the older Garageband it was a lot easier with the ability of drag a drop onto the musical typing keyboard to change what key made what sound!

So I was wondering if there was a different way around this or a way I could do this? Or if it has unfortunately been removed from Garageband!

Thanks

SA

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 5:39 PM

8 replies

Jan 10, 2014 5:38 PM in response to SheldonAppleseed

Do you still have GarageBand '11 installed? Then GarageBand 10.0 can use your old instruments from the "Legacy" section in the Library Inspector.

Legacy > GarageBand > Sound Effects

Create a software instrument track set to one of the SounEffects Instruments and drag the your samples from a real instrument track onto different keys of the Musical Typing keyboard. Save the instrument with a new name.

User uploaded file

-- Léonie

Jan 15, 2014 4:10 AM in response to léonie

Thankyou for the reply Léonie and sorry about the delayed reply!

No see the thing is my Macbook is new and does not have previous versions of Garageband installed whatsoever, is there any way I can get the "Legacy" section into Garageband 10.0 without having previously owned Garageband '11?

I'm not sure if this may help at all either but another memeber of my family owns a Macbook also, and this Macbook has Garageband '11 on it, is there anyway I could transfer that over to my new one and use that instead or gain a "Legacy" section in my Garageband?

Thanks again

SA

Jan 15, 2014 5:03 AM in response to SheldonAppleseed

Did yur family member buy GarageBand '11 from the Appstore, or does this family member see GarageBand in the "Purchased" tab of the AppStore? Then, if your family member will share the application with you on your computer, a simple way would be for your family member to sign into the App Store on your Mac with their on Apple ID, and to download and install it to your Mac.

If it is not an AppStore version, copy and install the following files/folders from the other Mac:

• The GarageBand '11 application from "Applications"
  • The Instrument Library and other files from /Library/Application Support/GarageBand

You will need to reindex all added loops, see: Rebuilding the Loop Index in GarageBand

-- Léonie

How do I create my own custom software instruments on the most recent Garageband 10.0.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.