Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the newest os that can work on a powerbook g4?

I just recently got a Powerbook G4 it has a 10.5.8 operating system. And I would like to connect my Iphone 4s to it. But the itunes on this powerbook is too old and i can't update it due to the old operating system. Now i was wondering what os would work on this powerbook and make me able to downloads the newest itunes. Thanks

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 5:55 PM

3 replies

Jan 10, 2014 7:52 AM in response to Niel

Niel wrote:

None. The maximum OS for a G4 or G5 Mac is 10.5.8, and syncing devices running iOS 7 requires at least 10.6.8.

Actually, Getmessi's profile says his (or her, sorry) iPhone is running iOS 6.1.3. If this is indeed the case, this iPhone can be synched with iTunes 10.6.3, which is available at http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1575.

Just don't upgrade to iOS7!

Jan 11, 2014 7:15 PM in response to Getmessi

Well, if you could score a first edition MacBook 13" with Intel-based 1.83GHz coreduo or later, you would have no trouble using the fairly good and stable Snow Leopard 10.6.x from the retail installer DVD.

Then update that to the last steps available as downloads from Apple via the software update. And hope you don't need to get the App Store in order to do that. At least you'd be on a supported side of hardware, not PPC.

However the early editions of intel-based Macs also

have upgrade limitations, as the path goes forward...

If that version of iTunes works with the older iPhone iOS, that's a fair idea.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

What is the newest os that can work on a powerbook g4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.