Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer will not update to the new software from 10.5.8, I check for updates and it says none available? What can I do to download new OS X Mavericks?

So I have Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 and my computer says no updates available. However every application I want to download tells me I need 10.6 or something higher. I researched and doung that OS X Mavericks is the newest OS and free to download but when i click "View in app store" It just takes me to a main store page. Due to this problem I cannot download new versions of Itunes either... Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem please?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 7:00 PM

6 replies

Jan 9, 2014 7:17 PM in response to Stormnicole

What year, screen size, CPU speed and amount of RAM installed?

To find out info about your system,

click on the Apple symbol in the upper left of the OS X main menu bar. A drop down menu appears.

Click About this Mac. A smaller popup window appears. This gives you basic info like what version of OS X your iMac is running, the speed of your iMac's CPU and how much RAM is installed.

Click on the button that says More Info. A larger window appears giving you a complete overview of your iMac's hardware specs.

Highlight all of this info and copy/paste all of this into another reply to this post, editing out your iMac's serial number before actually posting the reply. This will tell us everything about your iMac so we may begin to help with your iMac issues.

Jan 9, 2014 7:39 PM in response to Stormnicole

Depending on your year and model iMac, you may need to upgrade your iMac's RAM before upgrading your iMac's OS X version.

Correct and reliable Mac RAM can be purchased from online Mac RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (macsales.com).

If your iMac is a 2006 or newer Intel Model iMac, you can purchase and install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Snow Leopard is a paid upgrade found here.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Once initially installed! you can OS X Sofware Update feature to update the OS X version to OS X 10.6.8 and update all of your installed Apple Sofware and security updates. The update to OS X 10.6.8 gets you access to the Mac App Store.

If you iMac models meets OS X 10.9 Mavericks hardware requirements, you can go directly from OS X 10.6.8 to OS X 10.9 Mavericks by going to the Mac App Store and downloading and installing the free OS X 10.9 Mavericks to your iMac.

Before doing any major Mac OS system upgrade or update! it is strongly recommended that you have a backup of all your important data in case something should go wrong during the download and install process.

Backups should be on CDs/DVDs, large storage USB flash drives or externally connected hard drives.

You can create a backup using OS X Time Machine data backup app (part of OS X ) or data cloning apps, Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to create a bootable, exact data clone of your Mac's internal hard drive and clone it either a large capacity USB flash drive or externally connected large capacity hard drive.

Good Luck!

My computer will not update to the new software from 10.5.8, I check for updates and it says none available? What can I do to download new OS X Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.