Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you get Safari 7 on Mavericks 9.1 to use Java 6?

I have one old website that use the Java plug-in. It does not work with Java 7. On the new iMac, Java 6 is installed.

I have a few apps that use Java and they all have no problem finding Java 6. But Safari 7 does not even see the installed Java 6, although when the site was first accessed and you clicked on the missing plug-in button, Java 6 was installed.

All help sites refer to Safari preferences to enable Java, but this preference doesn't exist in Safari 7. There is a manage plug-in option, but Java is not listed. I'm thinking maybe Safari 7 is looking at a new location for Java and I may be able to add an alias to point to Java 6.

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 12:40 AM

4 replies

Jan 11, 2014 6:58 AM in response to TheBish

Even though you have Java 6 installed it's the browser plug-in that is the problem. It no longer exists by default. The follwing link may help but it is basically the same as Linc Davis' information.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57607966-263/how-to-re-enable-apples-web-pl ugin-after-updating-java/

If this doesn't work in Mavericks then you are out of luck. Apple is trying to move users away from Java all together. As you probably are well aware of Java is the number one vector for malware exploits on all platforms. The C|net article in the above link recommends you install virus detection software if you are intent on using Java 6 on your machine.

How do you get Safari 7 on Mavericks 9.1 to use Java 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.