Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Setup between TV and Apple TV

Sadly my AV Reciever died. I bought a Yamaha SoundBar which is excellent but unfortunately I cannot get it to sync with my TV in terms of audio, so it is going back. I am at a bit of a cross roads now and my understanding of HDMI, pass through and optical cables is limiting my ability to make a decision! Also it is turning out to be seriously not wife friendly - she hates the look of it!

I am seriously contemplating the Sony BDVN7100W, which has 2 HDMI in and one optical in. The alternative is obviously a proper amplifier but I'm struggling for space and the above model has amazing reviews soundwise.

My Sony TV (KDL40HX753) (and the receiver) have HDMI ARC.

Currently my Apple TV is connected to the TV directly using HDMI and the soundbar using optical (there are two optical in's). The TV is connected using optical, but understand now that I could connect via ARC which would mean that everything from the TV would be decoded by the receiver (I think - is that right)?

If so, am I right in assuming the following:

If the AppleTV is connected only via HDMI, but the TV and receiver are connected by ARC I will get digital audio?

Alternatively, if the TV is connected by ARC HDMI, it would free up the optical which I could use for the Apple TV (meaning that I can airplay without the need for the TV to be on).

My only other issue is that I am out of HDMIs, one for Apple TV, PS3, Reciever, Cable and Wii U - which is the best one to plug into the Receiver (currently my Wii U is plugged in!).

I hope that makes sense. With this and the current state of my network I really need some help!

Thanks

PS it is an Apple TV3.

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 4:45 AM

I'm not totally sure but doesn't ARC only apply to the TV and built in hardware rather than connected hardware. Your optimum set up I believe would be just to connect the Apple TV to your sound system via HDMI, this would enable you to change your source from the sound system for all your additional hardware. However if I understand you correctly you don't have enough HDMI inputs to do this.

An alternative would be to connect the HDMI straight to the TV and optical to your sound system, unfortunately this would require you to switch source on both the TV and sound system when using the Apple TV.

A third alternative would be to use an HDMI switch so that all your devices can feed through the sound system.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2014 4:45 AM in response to mr_mitten

I'm not totally sure but doesn't ARC only apply to the TV and built in hardware rather than connected hardware. Your optimum set up I believe would be just to connect the Apple TV to your sound system via HDMI, this would enable you to change your source from the sound system for all your additional hardware. However if I understand you correctly you don't have enough HDMI inputs to do this.

An alternative would be to connect the HDMI straight to the TV and optical to your sound system, unfortunately this would require you to switch source on both the TV and sound system when using the Apple TV.

A third alternative would be to use an HDMI switch so that all your devices can feed through the sound system.

Jan 10, 2014 5:15 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks Winston.

I've just been reading about ARC, the output from the Home Cinema System to the TV input allows audio to be passed between the two - that I think completely frees the optical in for the AppleTV3 which is a result. What I hadn't realised is this also means that there are two free HDMI's on the receiver itself, which is also very helpful. In effect that gives me 5. So I think, that should all work. The TV's HDMI (apart from the ARC) are all pass through, so the decoding will (certainly to my understanding) be done by the decoder.

Thanks for your help, think I'm going to go for it, so will let you know how it pans out - thanks again.

Matt

Audio Setup between TV and Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.