Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to save PDFs to iBooks on iPad, but the iBooks icon doesn't appear for me to use.

I want to save PDFs to iBooks on my ipad 3, but the iBooks icon doesn't appear after I hit the little box with the arrow....I did it once now it seems that I can't do it...

Also, my MacBook recognizes my ipad but sync won't start....also odd this before, but it won't now...

Thnx for any help.

iWeb '08, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 4:55 AM

8 replies

Jan 10, 2014 5:16 AM in response to ssemenick

If you are running IOS 7.

If you are trying to view a PDF through email or Website > you need to open it and then the box wiht the arrow at the top

should see

message, mail,open in ibooks, or other compaibtle programs

If ibooks is not showing up verfiy the program is uptodate and thats is is indeed installed ont he ipad.

I had issue with this not working and my sync not wokring and other werid functy issue and then i did a software updates and now its works fine.

Jan 10, 2014 5:19 AM in response to ssemenick

Tap and hold down on the PDF itself in order to get the Open In box to appear, don't tap the arrow.

if you are getting the Sync Session Failed to Start message, quit iTunes, restart your Mac and reboot your iPad and try again.

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Jan 10, 2014 5:50 AM in response to ssemenick

ssemenick wrote:

The ipad software is up to date, the iBooks icon still does not appear for a choice.

Does not appear when? Did you do what I suggested? When you say it doesn't appear as a choice, we don't know what you are referring to. You don't have to open the PDF in order to get the Open In Box. Are you even getting the Open in box?

If you do get the Open In box to appear, try closing the mail app and reboot your iPad and then try again.

Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the Mail app and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

If it worked yesterday, I don't think that your iBooks app not being up to date is the problem.

I want to save PDFs to iBooks on iPad, but the iBooks icon doesn't appear for me to use.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.