Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 15 2.3 late 2013 battery and temperature issue

Hi, this is the first time i bought an apple product ( the high end retina late 2013 ). As advertised on the website it should last 8 hours of web browsing and same for itunes movie playback. So to test it, I configured it to no auto brightness, 9/16 brightness, only 2 bars of keyboards backlit. I only used max of 4 chrome tabs and downloading with bitTorrent. I also watched 360p videos for like 45 minutes and system was also idle for like 30-60 minutes. It only lasted no more than 5 hours and 30 minutes -_-. Whats the point of haswell here ?

Temperature while idle (istat free) is around 35-40, light browsing 48-60(cpu 95 % idle), watching a 4k video leads to 70-80. Haven't tested any high end games yet. Palm rest gets a lil warm but the bottom gets hot. Fans speeds are 1900-2000 under normal use. Just played fifa 14 and the fan noise were trying to catch up usian bolt's record.

Can anyone tell me is this normal on new macbook pro models or should i call the apple store?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 8:16 AM

5 replies

Jan 12, 2014 11:45 PM in response to TrollOfDuty

Sorry that no one replied to your query - this board is not staffed by Apple, only us regular users.

Your temps are well within normal operating range, particularly when watching movies.

And as for the 8 hours - that IS for light Internet browsing, with possibly an email client open, with Energy saving preferences to keep the load on the CPU/GPU down. It's NOT, at all, the time you'll get whilst watching movies on battery: I'm very surprised that you're even getting 2-3 hours out of your battery with that kind of activity.

Rest assured, everything is normal: your temps, your battery life, etc.

Regards,

Clinton

Macbook pro 15 2.3 late 2013 battery and temperature issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.