Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

We are 4 min in to editing a video on final cut pro. now my computer is freezing up. I have heard that this is a glitch from downloading. (beyond frustrated) is this from working from 2 external hard drives? PLEASE HELP! =)

PLEASE HELP. =)

we are about 4 minutes into editing a video for the first time on final cut pro x 10.1. everything was going very smoothly, but then it started freezing up. I had to do a hard reset and took it into the computer store that actually installed final cut for us. they suggested that our mac actually is not capable of keeping up with final cut. (I FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE!!) We work on an IMAC 2.66 ghz intel core 2 duo. 8 gb 1067 mhz ddr3. software os x 10.9.1 (hopefully that info will help for your suggestions) Because we have soooooooooooo many hours of high def video, we are working off of two external hard drives.... is this a problem?? or do we really need to upgrade our computer?????

iMac

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 8:47 AM

2 replies

Jan 10, 2014 9:01 AM in response to jessieann14

The model iMac you have is not optimal for FCPX but it should be able to handle the majority of projects that are not overly complex without freezing. Check Activity Monitor to see what's going on while your project is open.

Do you have many events in a single library?

What format are the original clips and did you optimize?

How are your external drives connected?

Russ

Jan 11, 2014 10:38 PM in response to jessieann14

Like Russ said, check Activity Monitor and see what else is running and turn off any Applications that aren't needed.

Turn off wi-fi or disconnect the wire that goes to the Internet

Turn off Background Rendering (if you see an orange line on the top of the time line that moves along and gets shorter while you're not doing anything that is a good sign that Background Rendering is running.

I haven't used 10.1 yest but on the previous version there was a small circle approximately in the middle of the screen, about 1/2-inch or 1 cm in diameter, and it would have a number inside. The number is the percent complete of what is hapening. When it is Rendering the percentage will be shown.

Basically, you probably need to free up resources.

For what it is worth, my previous Mac Pro was a 1,1 2.66 machine, also with 8GB of, I think, 667 memory, and it would process FCPX 10.0.9 okay. It did have an upgraded video card, though.

We are 4 min in to editing a video on final cut pro. now my computer is freezing up. I have heard that this is a glitch from downloading. (beyond frustrated) is this from working from 2 external hard drives? PLEASE HELP! =)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.