Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

publishing error- denial of permissions to publish the index

I can no longer publish my iWeb website. When I first hit this error trying to publish from my laptop, I copied the domain file and was able to publish from my desktop. This would suggest that the problem was not the domain file, but some other file on my laptop. But now my desktop can't publish the website. I have repaired permissions, checked all the links to see if something got corrupted. I tried to find the .plist files to delete, but I can't find any iweb files in the library preferences. I googled for recommendations, and I tried to follow them but the way the plist files are stored must now be different. Any suggestions?

IWeb 3.04, System 10.8.5

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 8:33 AM

12 replies

Jan 10, 2014 10:38 AM in response to KJalter

Where are you trying to publish to? The Desktop or a server?

Try the following:

1 - delete the iWeb preference file, com.apple.iWeb.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iWeb's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iWeb folder (Snow Leopard and Earlier).

User uploaded file

3 - launch iWeb and try again.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

If you're running Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

OT

Jan 10, 2014 11:04 AM in response to Old Toad

This may work. I want to publish to a remote server, and I can do this by creating a local file on my laptop. I have done this many times, but I think the preference file got corrupted. I think the key is that I need to eliminate this .plist file but I can't find it anywhere on the compulter. I'm running OS 10.8. I've never gone into terminal. I asked the IT people to do the terminal fix. I will let you know if it works.

This is so infuriating not to be able to see the library files. I can see some com.apple.program.plist files, but not the com.apple.iWeb.plist file. I have tried everything to find it, including the "go" command. It is a revelation that it might there, but hidden. Are some library preference files hidden, and others not hidden?

I will let you know what happens.

Jan 10, 2014 11:49 AM in response to Old Toad

There is a leftover library file on my desktop- I was looking there. Maybe that is not the true home library file? There is no other clearer library file under the home icon. I grabbed what this file looks like- I don't see a library or a preference file, so maybe the "Library" file is not active anymore? But it does have 2013 dates in it, so it is confusing. Is there another library file with preferences, cache etc. What other library file would it be in? And why can I find .plist files for other apple applications but not for iWeb?

User uploaded file

Jan 10, 2014 2:58 PM in response to KJalter

See if this will help:

1. move the domain file from your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder to the Desktop.
  2. launch iWeb, create a new test site, save the new domain file and close iWeb.
  3. go to the your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder and delete the new domain file.
  4. move your original domain file from the Desktop to the iWeb folder.
  5. launch iWeb and try again.

Note: the old and new domain files should have the exact same name.

Jan 10, 2014 4:45 PM in response to Old Toad

It did not work.

So far, I have:

1) finally found the .plist file, and I deleted the file for iWeb. This file keeps getting recreated, but I gather that is the point.

2) deleted the Cache.db,

3) successfully 'published' the website on the local computer

4) as you just instructed, I moved the domain file from the Application support folder to the desktop then created a new folder. Then I moved the domain file back. The file in each case was called "domain."

But perhaps there is a problem here-- the new domain was empty- it asked me essentially to create a new website. I had a back up of the website I was using on dropbox, so in order to restore the file I used the "switch domain" feature and open the dropbox file. This should work in that the old .plist and cache.db had been replaced. Or perhaps I'm not creating an entirely clean preference file?

5) in an early iteration, it had worked to copy the domain onto a computer that did not have a corrupted iWeb file. On my desktop computer the website used to publish, until that system also started to give me the error about lacking the permissions to publish the index

So far it still isn't working. Any other ideas?

Jan 11, 2014 6:18 AM in response to KJalter

Dear Bill -

I may have a related problem. With your help, I have used iWeb to successfully publish to RAGE Web Hosting for nearly two years, my last page just a few days ago, and everything seems to be there. <http://magnant.org/wonderworlds/>

However, when I opened iWeb yesterday, nothing shows up, no pages, no sites. I'm up to date with Mavericks, Disk Permissions were successfully repaired and I'm backed up on Time Machine but I'm hesitant about what to delete or restore without asking first. Is it as simple as finding and deleting the correct iWeb.plist and cache.db file?

I'd really like to keep iWeb working so I will appreciate your comments. Do I need to be considering something else like Everweb? Thanks. Bob Magnant

Jan 11, 2014 6:54 AM in response to Bob Magnant

Look, if you want help, then please start a thread of your own and don't hijack someone elses thread.

Go and start a new topic, but yes, switching to newer software like EverWeb which is now being actively developed unlike iWeb might be a good idea. Take a look at the site to see how you can buy it - either with or without hosting attached at http://www.everwebapp.com.

Jan 15, 2014 7:23 AM in response to Bob Magnant

I wanted to update what has been extremeley helpful support. After much more trouble shooting, it turns out that the problem is not iWeb. The problem has to do with the server I was using, and how Java 7 has disrupted the server system.

I figured this out in 2 ways-- publishing to the desktop, and publishing to a different server through the FTP publishing-- both of which worked.

Thanks for your help

publishing error- denial of permissions to publish the index

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.