Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password protecting folders?

I would like to set a password on a folder so shared users can not access it, how do I do that?

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 10:15 AM

Click here and follow the instructions. Don't add the encrypted image's password to the keychain.

(97544)
11 replies

Sep 13, 2014 1:04 AM in response to The Good Life

Almost every discussion I see on this topic suggests creating an encrypted or password-protected r/w disk image of the folder you want to protect, but that's not really password-protecting a folder; it's duplicating it onto an image.

You should be able to make any folder inaccessible by getting info on it (Cmd-I) as administrator, then selecting Read Only under Ownership & Permissions. However, MAC OS screws this up and sometimes when you do that, you can't undo it, i.e. you lose everything that was in that folder.

Has anyone else experienced this..? It seems like typical sick Mac OS crap to me. Why shouldn't you just be able to change the permission back to Read and Write????????

Sep 13, 2014 6:09 AM in response to The Good Life

The Good Life wrote:

I created encrypted partition but now I can not figure out how to move new documents into it. It seems like a static drive?

I realize this is quite old, but the thread was resurrected from obscurity.

If you used a Sparse disk image or a Read/Write disk image format, you should be able to add and delete files to the mounted disk?

To mount the Image, double-click it and enter the password. It shows up as a hard drive. Use it like any other. Like a hard drive, it has limited space based on what you set for its size when you created it.

Password protecting folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.