Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imposible use new iphone 5

Hi,

have a very big problem with one new iphone 5.

In october travel to Chile for work and was the b-day of my husband and buy one iphone 5 in a Movistar market.

They tell me that all mobile seller in Chile are Unlock, for this reason buy this mobile, but the problem was for activate, because is unlock, but only for use in Chile ( Country Unlock).

I call many time to Movistar (operator in Chile) and they can`t help me, because they insist in that my iphone is completly unlock, but apple dont say the same and show me that my iphone continue with the country unlock.

Movistar say they cant do nothing, because dont have more option and have to contact with Movistar Spain ( this is not correct because is a diferent company) and the Apple Store and Apple Care tell me that movistar is the only can help me, and i`m in a continue loop without solution.

Someone have any idea for what can i do? in the apple store tell me that my best option, is sell this mobile because i never can use if movistar dont have a solution for me.

Thank you!

Regards.

Felipe.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 11:52 AM

10 replies

Jan 10, 2014 11:56 AM in response to ffchacoff

What makes you think the phone is not unlocked? Do you get an error when trying to use another carrier's SIM? What is the error that you are seeing? According to this support document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937 if the phone is not unlocked, they support unlocking. Only the carrier the device is locked to can authorize the unlock, but if they tell you the device is unlocked, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Jan 10, 2014 12:27 PM in response to ffchacoff

Alright, now we are getting somewhere. This isn't a country unlock, it means that your device is locked to Movistar. You need to make contact with them to find out what you need to do to request they unlock the phone. Based on what you have described, the phone is locked to them and they need to unlock it. The support document says they provide unlocking services, so find out what you have to do to request that it be unlocked.

Jan 10, 2014 1:05 PM in response to ffchacoff

You say that you put in a SIM from Spain. Who is that carrier? Is this not a supported iPhone carrier in Spain? If that is the case, that is why you cannot activate. Activate the card with your Movistar SIM in it. Again, there is no such thing as unlocked for country. Either the device is locked or unlocked. However, there are carriers that are not supported and they cannot be used to activate a phone.

Feb 22, 2015 6:09 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Here is an example of one that is country locked. Carrier lookup, can be done at most places that offer IMEI unlocks. Obviously, I censored device identifying info.

Here is your carrier lookup report details:

IMEI: 3588XXXXXXXXXXX

Serial Number: F7XXXXXXXXXXX

Version: 8.1.1

Warranty Status: Apple Limited Warranty

Warranty Days Remaining: 198

Estimated Purchase Date: 09/09/14

Registration Date: 09/09/14

ICCID: 8956XXXXXXXXXXX

Mac Address: FXXXXXXXXXXX

Bluetooth Mac Address: F0XXXXXXXXXXX

Unbrick: True

First Unbrick Date: 09/10/14

Last Unbrick Date: 12/12/14

Activation Policy ID: 419

Activation Policy Details: Chile Movistar (Telefonica) Country Unlocked.

Next Tether Policy ID: 419

Next Tether Policy Details: Chile Movistar (Telefonica) Country Unlocked.

Purchase Country: Chile

Sold To Name: TELEFONICA MOVILES CHILE SA

Carrier: Chile Movistar (Telefonica) Country Unlocked.

Find My iPhone: OFF

imposible use new iphone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.