Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any advantage to not using a HD to full capacity?

I've been researching partitioning and formatting drives and I've come across the technique whereby a large drive is divided into two partitions but only the first partition is actually used and the 2nd (slower) partition is left unused. The advantage is (as I understand it), in the case of a boot disk, your system file and all applications and whatever other files need to be on the boot disk are all kept within the faster outer area of the disk (the first partition) and prevented from spreading out over time toward the inner edge where performance is slower. Is this something that I should consider doing w/ a 750 GB boot drive that I will be creating or is it a more of a waste not using the drive's full capacity?

Jack

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 2:36 PM

It's mostly a waste of time. If there is any speed increase it is not enough to be worth the exercise. If disk speed is essential to you, then use an SSD instead.

10 replies

Jan 10, 2014 8:28 PM in response to stopmotion

I doubt that you would see much of a performance difference, although there are some other good reasons for using multiple partitions, for different OS versions and for simplifying backups, for example. you can have different versions of the operating system, perform updates on one, and you can still boot from the other one to down-grade back to what you had, in the event of a corruption during update or a broken feature or third-party driver incompatibility,etc. I don't know how many posts have shown up here after a major OS update from Apple asking how to downgrade back to the old version, if only they had a duplicate on a partition before they performed the update.

If you are using a large external drive for backups and using Time Machine, consider partitioning the drive to make one volume a bootable clone of the OS and use the other partition for Time Machine. Time Machine will fill up it's partition eventually, so having a dedicated partition for your bootable OS ensures that you won't run out of space for that one.

At one time, maybe for the older first generation large drives there might have been some small performance boost in seeking data from a smaller volume than from the entire drive, but I doubt that with today's drives with larger memory buffers this is still the case at least not to a real-world noticable difference, but I have not done any such benchmarks myself. Maybe you can try it out for yourself.

If performance is an issue, put some SSDs in a hardware SATA RAID-0 and some instant coffee in the microwave. You just might go back in time.

Jan 11, 2014 8:04 AM in response to Glen Doggett

Glen: Thanks for all the info. Here's exactly what I'm planning to do. I think I have my bases pretty well covered taking into consideration the point you made about being able to revert to a former version of an OS, but I'd be interested to hear what you think.

I'm replacing my G5's original 250 GB primary boot drive w/ a 750 GB HD on which I've created a single volume containing a CCC clone of the aforementioned boot drive running OS (10.4.11).

I have a 2nd internal 750 GB HD in the G5 on which I plan to create two partitions: the larger volume will function as a scratch disk and hold all my video media files and all song files recorded through my digital audio recording app., the 2nd partition will hold a clone of my boot drive as it is now (running 10.4.11) should I need to revert to Tiger for whatever reason (to run Classic or any app that doesn't perform up to par under Leopard).

Then I plan to install a new 2 TB HD in my external enclosure and create three volumes on it, one for my primary boot drive, one for my scratch drive and one for the Tiger clone partition (that's on the same internal drive as my scratch/media file partition). I will not be using Time Machine yet as I will need an additional external drive for that.

After I've finished cloning the content for the three volumes on my backup drive I plan to incrementally upgrade the OS on my primary boot drive to Leopard (I have the first version and all the updates) and run the system through its paces after each update (before I clone it to my external backup and until I'm up to OS X 10.5.8).

How does that sound?

Jan 13, 2014 9:51 PM in response to stopmotion

Sounds like you have a good idea of how to use partitioning to make your life easier. Going overboard with partitioning can make things overly complex. When I first upgraded my G3 Desktop long ago, which I no longer have, from the stock 6GB drive to a 60GB drive, I went partition crazy, I had about 8 partitions and that particular model could boot from OS 8.1, (I skipped 8.6), 9.2, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4, after a while the novelty of rebooting different OS versions wore out and I eventually narrowed it down to running just OS 9.2 and 10.4. (PS - I also could boot that G3 into MkLinux on an external SCSI drive, I did not want to mix Mac and linux partitions on the same physical drive)

Sounds like you are also aware that when you boot into 10.5 you won't have Classic emulation available, so keeping the OS9 System Folder and OS 10.4 on another partition will allow you to boot into 10.4 should you need to run any older Classic software.

There may be some other devices you use, like a printer/scanner or camera for example, where you have drivers for 10.4 but not for 10.5. Although, you might be able to download an updated driver for 10.5, like from www.hp.com or www.epson.com, etc, if you were using an older printer in OS9/10.4 and find that it does not function with the 10.4 version drivers on the CD that shipped with it under 10.5

Jan 15, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Glen Doggett

Thanks for your feedback, Glen. Well, I installed Leopard and updated it to 10.5.8. It doesn't seem quite as snappy as Tiger and running Disk Utility takes about 10' to read the disk permissions database and for a while it kept repairing the same few permissions. So I ran it after a safe boot and it didn't report that it had to fix anything.

All my apps seem to run up to speed, except for Final Cut Pro 6 which will not launch. Will have to take that up in the Final Cut Pro forum.

Appreciate the tips.

Any advantage to not using a HD to full capacity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.