Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying a Used Mac Pro

Hello

Looking for viewpoints on used Mac Pros. I have an opportunity to pick up a 2.66 Dual Core with 12GB's RAM, (cheaply). I realize these are older machines, nevertheless, it will be an improvement for someone with no money using older Dual Core 2.0 G5 desktops.

I came upon this ad for a machine apparently offering several types of Processors. I'm proficient, but never swapped out processors before.

"Available with two 2.66 GHz (5150) Dual-core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" or 2.0 GHz (5130), 2.66 GHz processors or 3.0 GHz (5160) Dual-core or 3.0 GHz (X5365) Quad-core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" processors, this customized desktop enables faster computing."

I suppose what I'm asking; of the older Mac Pro models, which would be more efficient, easiet to upgrade with multiple esta ports. I'm editing a Hugh project in standard def.

No HD here ...

Thanx

Mike

Mac OS X (10.4.11), #3 Dual Core 2.0 G5 Desktops

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 9:40 AM

I've got a the same 2.66 dual core machine and it's great. I've got a sonnet esata card with 2 ports and 4 drives installed internally. And I've got 12 gigs of RAM. There are supposedly "sweet spots" as to how much ram to install. I got some recommendations and went with 12. Gotta say, there are times now where I think adding some more would help. Particularly when I'm working with multiple programs open in Mavericks.

I've got both snowleopard and mavericks startup disks so I can switch back and forth between OS's. I've also got a black magic intensity pro card for monitoring with a flat screen television via hdmi and to a standard def broadcast monitor via component.

I'm thinking about installing an SSD card to create a faster boot drive.

It's a great machine and for standard def it's probably more than adequate. Just finished working on a 2K feature with prores 4444 material and although rendering was required with most effects, it worked just fine. That material was on sata drives on an external 5 bay esata enclosure.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2014 9:40 AM in response to ENIGMACODE

I've got a the same 2.66 dual core machine and it's great. I've got a sonnet esata card with 2 ports and 4 drives installed internally. And I've got 12 gigs of RAM. There are supposedly "sweet spots" as to how much ram to install. I got some recommendations and went with 12. Gotta say, there are times now where I think adding some more would help. Particularly when I'm working with multiple programs open in Mavericks.

I've got both snowleopard and mavericks startup disks so I can switch back and forth between OS's. I've also got a black magic intensity pro card for monitoring with a flat screen television via hdmi and to a standard def broadcast monitor via component.

I'm thinking about installing an SSD card to create a faster boot drive.

It's a great machine and for standard def it's probably more than adequate. Just finished working on a 2K feature with prores 4444 material and although rendering was required with most effects, it worked just fine. That material was on sata drives on an external 5 bay esata enclosure.

Jan 11, 2014 1:45 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Thank you Michael

Adding/modifying/improvising; I pride myself in just that. I've rebuilt several G5 Dual Cores, adding faster graphics & esata cards, and maxing ram. But I believe render times and general work-flow will be improved with a Mac Pro and FCP7, (an improvement over FCP6). No not need to go above Lyon. No money here, but a HUGH investment in a standard def. documentary.

No sense investing in $600-800 for a Mac Mini or iMac trying to access multiple drives. The G5 is a longer lasting workhorse.

I've investigated RAID; it won't help in my case. Not with #8 2TB drives maxed with archival footage, and media. RAID means having to reformat all over again. No thank you 🙂 Nor do I trust a 'bridged' enclosure. Just a 'straight up' esata connection. Been burned before loosing data thru bridges.

I'll try to find a 2008 or later Mac Pro, (no funding), and yes, thanks for sharing favorable comments/configurations about your 2.66 Dual Core. I've read about sneaking that esata cable thru the housing. Will I be able to access all drives thru both a 2 port cable extension as as well as a PCI card with 4 additional esata ports?

Thank you

http://www.ww2survivorstories.com/previews.html

Jan 13, 2014 10:26 AM in response to ENIGMACODE

ENIGMACODE wrote:

Adding/modifying/improvising; I pride myself in just that.

You're not alone; my first G5 got a SATA card (internal 1TB RAID and later a 2TB external RAID) high-end graphics card, I/O expansion...

I'm in the process right now of looking for a 2008 or 2009 Mac Pro for my wife (and as a back-up for my '08 MP.)

I favor the 8-core '08 systems (lease returns) that are starting to show up on eBay at $600-800.

I've been doing RAIDs since before the turn of the century and love them, but unless you need really fast (400+ MB/sec) data you can save time and money by just adding a USB 3.0 card and buying 2-4TB USB externals. Virtually all the new drives are USB 3.0 and very affordable.

If you want to go eSATA, you can get the "bulkhead fittings" (cable connector plates so you don't have to sneak the cables out) for next to nothing.

hope this helps

Jan 13, 2014 11:44 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

Apparently there have been a few issues, though most seem to be on the new Macs (people expect more when they've just spent money. 😉)

I spotted this What is the state of USB 3.0 on Mac Pro? - MacRumors Forums

which seems to be pointing to problems with specific chips.

I don't use mine continuously (probably because of the 8TB internal array...) but it seems to perform well.

Jan 13, 2014 12:31 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Mine is a RocketU HighPoint Dual USB 3.0 for Mac

Yes, last weekend I cloned all the data (about 250GB) off a pair of G4 Dualies that have finally found a good home.

Yes, I've had a few random quits, even one when cloning a system drive, but no data losses, just error windows and then restart.

I suppose that upgrading to Lion or Mountain Lion (definitely not going to touch Sea Lion er, Mavericks any time soon) might help, but I am still running some apps that probably won't survive the move... And I'm not at all sure those are "upgrades" since I have no iToys. 25 years on Mac and I still score a FAIL on the "digital lifestyle" cr@p... LOL

Jan 13, 2014 1:02 PM in response to RatVega™

Hi Michael & Ratvega - thank you for all the great feedback. Its not often folks here share a nice 'give n take'. Too many disappointing 'lecture responses'. Some seem to think everyone's got the dough to just cough it up on a new $4,000 machine. Update - Update - The Lastest OS - The Latest FCP.

I'm fine where I'm at - no need for stepping into trouble = 'Mavericks' EEEEKKK!

I think I get this: "25 years on Mac and I still score a FAIL on the "digital lifestyle" cr@p..." Are you insinuating that some of us still do not need all those mobile apps to make our lives complete? I agree! 🙂

Anyway, thanks for all the info. I'm also leaning toward a 2008 or 2009 Mac Pro - and maybe I'll also look for an '8-core '08 system'?

I'd like to ask about better 'render time' and export time' using FC7 and a Mac Pro as opposed to my older Dual Core machines and FC6? *Remember my 6-7 year project is strickly 'Stand. Def.'

Thanks again!

Mike

http://www.ww2survivorstories.com/previews.html

Jan 13, 2014 1:11 PM in response to ENIGMACODE

ENIGMACODE wrote:

I think I get this: "25 years on Mac and I still score a FAIL on the "digital lifestyle" cr@p..."

Are you insinuating that some of us still do not need all those mobile apps to make our lives complete?

I'm an old f@rt who lives in the stix in the middle of 15 million people... I'd have an analog cell phone if they made one. One of the saddest days of my geek life was when they took "Computer" out of Apple's name.

If you want rendering power, an 8-core system with a high clock rate is the way to go. If you can squeeze out the extra green for a 2009 MP, it'll be even nicer; it uses the Nahalem processor that supports hyperthreading, so you can have as many as 16 virtual cores. And it has improved PCIe speeds.

For really crazy performance, you'll need to (ultimately) move to FCP X or some other NLE that supports 64-bit operation.

On the other hand, if you set up your 8-core MP correctly, you can expect to transcode 'SD' footage to MPEG-2/AC3 at 3-4X real time... hehehe

Buying a Used Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.