Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying a Used Mac Pro

Hello

Looking for viewpoints on used Mac Pros. I have an opportunity to pick up a 2.66 Dual Core with 12GB's RAM, (cheaply). I realize these are older machines, nevertheless, it will be an improvement for someone with no money using older Dual Core 2.0 G5 desktops.

I came upon an ad for a machine apparently offering several types of Processors. I'm proficient, but never swapped out processors before.

"Available with two 2.66 GHz (5150) Dual-core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" or 2.0 GHz (5130), 2.66 GHz processors or 3.0 GHz (5160) Dual-core or 3.0 GHz (X5365) Quad-core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" processors, this customized desktop enables faster computing."

I suppose what I'm asking; of the older Mac Pro models, which would be more efficient, easiet to upgrade with multiple esta ports. I'm editing a Hugh project in standard def.FC7

No HD here ...

Thank you

Mike

Mac OS X (10.4.11), #3 Dual Core 2.0 G5 Desktops

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 6:17 PM

2 replies

Jan 11, 2014 9:33 AM in response to ENIGMACODE

You likely would need to buy a new graphic card, hard drives of course it sounds like, to make this 2.66 5150 function. And a copy of 10.6.x as well.

If it isn't something that can pay for itself, the old lets you upgrade on the "installment" monthly plan at least to get it up to snuff.

I just spend $250 on Apple 5770, $99 on Samsung SSD for the system, $300 on PCIe SSD card, $54 PCIe USB 3.0 and $100 on 8 x 2GB FBDIMM. So you could be investing $400 plus couple 2TB drives for your projects, plus backups etc that you need regardless of what you buy.

The cost of the 8-core 5355 cpu swap/upgrade is often less than $80 and maybe more like $40 today but better for video work.

FCP-X current version can use two GPUs but requires 10.9.1+ so while you have no plans to use latest version, FCP-X does offer performance improvements. And really need a 5,1 2010 to get the most out of it.

You may balk at $2000 but a 2010 really makes sense. Throw in a 6-core 3.33GHz cpu ($620 extra) and has all the improvements and bug fixes of the "old" Mac Pro design (the "nMP 2013 Black cylinder Mac Pro is totally new $3k platform).

Used Mac Pro 2006 1,1's can go for $400, maybe less unless they have had some significant upgrades made. Even 2008 3,1's are losing value but a better value - 2009 4,1's were / are selling for $800 and up.

I've looked at rMBP and iMacs and keep going to the fact a new Mac Pro lasts and is a good long term investment - mine is going to be 8 yrs old in August and is better today than ever, but won't run Mavericks (whch I think of only for security updates, but that it needs more time to iron out and smooth over some rough edges still).

Buying a Used Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.