Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot save new Pages doc

New iMac Mini. New Pages installation. First-time use with this user name. When I've created a document and select Save... to save into my Documents folder, it comes back and says "the file Untitled 2.pages couldn't be opened." Successfully created doc using another user name on same computer. Anybody know what the deal is?

Mac mini, Mac OS 9.0.x

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 6:54 PM

6 replies

Jan 10, 2014 10:10 PM in response to dwiseone

If you "upgraded" to Pages 5 you now have 2 versions of Pages on your Mac:

Pages 5 in your Applications folder.

Pages '09 in your Applications/iWork folder.

Pages '09 can not open Pages 5 files and the Mac will tell you that you need to update.

Pages 5 will open and alter/damage Pages '09 files which, once converted and saved, can not be opened again in Pages '09.

Pages 5 can not open files earlier than Pages '09, eg Pages '08 and Pages '06.

Files passed through iCloud will automatically sync back and also be in the Pages 5 format.

All the files have the same .pages extension but are largely incompatible with each other.

Apple has removed over 90+ features from Pages 5 so it is largely a downgrade:

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewforum.php?f=22&mforum=iworktipsn trick

If you do not want to use Pages 5, trash/archive it after Exporting any Pages 5 files to either Pages '09 or Word docx.

Turn off iCloud syncing for Pages so that your files are not converted, turn off Auto update in backbround, in System Preferences > Software Update, then get on with your work.

Peter

Jan 29, 2014 5:04 PM in response to dwiseone

We had the same problem and just got off the phone with AppleCare. The problem is apparently that both the Pages 5 app and iCloud are trying to access the document at the same time.

Solution: Turn iCloud saving off, Save to [documents], turn iCloud saving back on.

Hope that works for you too. The glitch is supposed to get a fix at some point.

May 25, 2015 5:04 PM in response to dwiseone

System Preferences > iCloud uncheck Pages gets rid of this weird error message bug and allows me to save to my local disk again with the latest OS X and Pages. It appears this feature is either use the cloud or the local disk not both at the same time. Feels like we're beta testers. I miss the import AppleWorks feature that was removed. Apple did pop up a survey while I was looking for a solution to this frustrating problem.

Cannot save new Pages doc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.