Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do any of the Mac Pros have esata ports?

Do you guys know which model Mac Pro's have esata?

Thanx

Mike

Mac OS X (10.4.11), #3 Dual Core 2.0 G5 Desktops

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 9:14 PM

For US$20 and some cable-snaking, 2006, 2007, and 2008 models do. With this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MPQXES2/

User uploaded file

2009, 2010, and 2012 can add a PCIe card to get eSATA.

3 replies

Jan 11, 2014 9:40 AM in response to ENIGMACODE

Buy yourself a PCIe SATA III / 6G 2-port or 4-port controller.

Also might want USB 3.0 or even a SATA3 + USB3 combo card.

None of them as is have "eSATA" and yes the first 3 models you could connect up two 'extra' ports on the logicboard (there for SATA opticals seems were designed and left in by Intel and then Apple).

For some people a hardware RAID card is the only way to go.

Jan 11, 2014 10:33 AM in response to The hatter

Thank you Grant and hatter

As far as adding on/modifying/improvising capabilities, I pride myself in just that. I've rebuilt several G5 Dual Cores, adding faster graphics & esata cards, and maxing ram. But I believe render times and general work-flow will be improved with a Mac Pro and FCP7, (an improvement over FCP6). No not need to go above Lyon. No HD here, No money, but a HUGH investment in a standard def. documentary.

I will not invest in $600-800 for a Mac Mini - makes no sense trying to access multiple drives.

I've thoroughly investigated RAID, no it will not help in my case. Not with #8 2TB drives already maxed with archival footage, media, and expensive film shoots. RAID means having to reformat all over again. No thank you.

I'll try to find a 2008 or later Mac Pro, (no funding), and yes, I've read about sneaking the esata cable thru the housing. Except in my case, I'll also be adding an esata PCI card as well. Currently I access 4-6 drives thru individual esata cables. No, I will not trust a 'bridged' enclosure. Just a 'straight up' esata connection. Been burned before loosing data thru bridges.

Thank you

http://www.ww2survivorstories.com/previews.html

Do any of the Mac Pros have esata ports?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.