Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't rename an event

I'm using FCPX 10.0.5.

I created an event to import some old video using firewire. The event was named "New Event 1-10-14". I want to change this name. I can't. I select it and right-click and I don't see a "rename" option. I searched for help and it suggested I click on it and type a new name or hit return, I just get an error tone and nothing happens.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 12GB RAM, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4s

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 10:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 5:13 AM

Hover your cursor over the name in the Event Library List and single left click on the test. That should open a text box that you can edit.

18 replies

Jan 11, 2014 7:16 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

A little OT, but just to note that in running 10.0.5, you're missing some major functionality that was added in 10.0.6.

However, at this stage of FCP's upgrade history, you would need to upgrade your OS as well to get those and other features.

Russ

Right Russ. I screwed up and never upgraded from 10.0.5. Now its too lake. Some day I'll take the plunge and upgrade to Mavericks or end up buying another Mac that comes with Mavericks. Its pretty sad that you can't find upgrades for applications you payed good money for. I understand *real old* versions, but 10.x.x should be available somewhere. Oh well.

Jan 11, 2014 7:18 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

I don't know how but I finally was able to click on the event name and it allowed me to rename it. I swear it was not letting me. Also in the inspector it just said "Nothing to Inspect", so I did not see a way to do it there. I finally went to the View menu and changed how the events were displayed, going back and clicking on the name al of a sudden, it became editable. Go figure.

Thanks folks for your help

Jan 11, 2014 7:50 AM in response to BenB

BenB wrote:

Actually it is. The Purchases page of the App Store should allow you to upgrade to the latest version your hardware will support. Or it did at one time.

That's really good to know.

I have a zipped copy of 10.0.5 on a10.6 bootablle drive.

As a test I had hidden my "current" (10.0.9) version of FCP and (after trashing preferences) and moved the unzipped 10.0.5 into Applications. I thought the update was unavailable because nothing showed in Updates. But when I went to the Purchases page – there it was.

Russ

Jan 12, 2014 8:30 AM in response to Russ H

I went to App Store Purchases. I see that I have several apps that can be updated. I tried clicking on one (Pixelmator) and it told me my OS X was too old. I clicked on Evernote and it told me to sign in with the account I used to purchase it. Hu? I only have one Apple ID acount. I clicked on Store -> View my account and it poped up a login dialog. I entered my password, then tried again. Got this:

User uploaded file

Any suggestions on what is going on? I only use/have this one account that I've had for ever...

Thanks

Jan 12, 2014 11:20 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

When I had problems with our account I called the App Store and found out that they were making some changes and upgrading the old accounts. The new ones require more characters and a mix of numbers, upper, and lower case.

Give them a call and explain the situation. Hopefully you get a person who understands and will walk you through the process.

As for:

"I'm affraid to click on it. I'm right in the middle of a huge project and I don't want any surprizes. I remember hearing of issues when lots of event footage is converted with new updates and things get messed up."

I thought "surprises" were the spice of life! No?

Jan 13, 2014 5:59 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

I have a zipped copy of 10.0.5 on a10.6 bootablle drive.

As a test I had hidden my "current" (10.0.9) version of FCP and (after trashing preferences) and moved the unzipped 10.0.5 into Applications. I thought the update was unavailable because nothing showed in Updates. But when I went to the Purchases page – there it was.

Russ

Hey Russ, would you mind contacting me off-line? My email address is in my profile (I believe it is visible to the forum). Just got a quick question about the zipped copies... Thanks.

I can't rename an event

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.