Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DDR3 1600 MHz vs 1066 MHz - Does it matter?

I recently received some free RAM for my MBP and I do not know if it will work. I have an old 2009 MBP and the free RAM came from a newer model. Everything is the same but the MHz.

The specs for the new RAM:

- Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR3) format

- 67.6mm x 30mm (1.18 inch)

- 4 GB (2 sticks)

- 204-pin

- PC3-12800 DDR3 1600 MHz type RAM

The specs for my Macbook Pro:

-Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

-Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I know my computer can run up to 8 GB, but what will the two faster sticks of RAM running at 1600 MHz do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 11:36 PM

It matters. You do not have to use the RAM you have received because it does not meet your MacBook's requirements.

At first you may be able to install the RAM and use it, but OS X may crash and your Mac may even not start up. Because of this, you should install 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM. You can buy more RAM at OWC or Crucial.

3 replies

Jan 11, 2014 10:59 AM in response to ARHMac

Even putting in RAM of the same speed is not necessarily good since Apple machines are very finicky about their RAM. Crucial and OWC as mentioned before are good to buy RAM from, as they will allow to specify the age of the Mac and the Mac model you are buying RAM for in their store search engine. That is key, the other key with any vendor is a lifetime warranty, and not to buy "ValueRAM."

DDR3 1600 MHz vs 1066 MHz - Does it matter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.