Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating the Graphics card driver: AMD Radeon HD 6750M MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)

Hi

About a month ago my MacBook Pro refused to boot up, and would only get as far as the grey screen.

After trying lots of fixes, none of which worked I took it to an authorised repairer (out of warranty and no Applecare).

They put a new Logic Board in, for a mere £600!

As I had loads of work on at the time I bought myself an iMac to carry on working with.

Since I got the MacBook Pro back it has barely been used, as I use the iMac most of the time.

However, this week I was working on site so had to bring it out.

Everything works fine, except for Photoshop CC, which gives me constant RAM warnings, making it unusable.

Fortunately I still had Photoshop CS5 on my machine, which works fine.

When I got home, I reinstalled Photoshop CC. Upon first boot up I got the following message:

Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has temporarily disabled enhancements which use the graphics hardware.

Check the manufacturer's website for latest software.

For more information visit:

http://www.adobe.com/go/photoshop_gpu_uk

Unfortunately the link they provided seems to focus on Windows users.

So, somehow I need to update my GPU driver.

It would seem that driver updates in Mac OS are now handled through the Mac Software Update?

I am fully up to date on this, using Mavericks 10.9.1

My driver is as follows:

AMD Radeon HD 6750M

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573

Does anyone know how I can update this please?

BTW, I know this Logic Board failure is a VERY common issue on MBPs from Early 2011, and for the record I am furious about this. I spent a huge amount of money on this laptop, thinking I was buying a robust quality product. 2.5 years lifespan for such an expensive item is shameful, and I for one will never buy another Mac Laptop. If you are interested, here is another thread containing information on this defective GPU:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6480795

Ok, rant over.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 4:32 AM

6 replies

Jan 11, 2014 5:12 AM in response to Rampax

The drivers are kept up to date by Apple, so you have the most current. This sounds like a Photoshop issue rather than a Mac issue. I'm not a Photoshop guy, but looking at that link you posted I did see a section on multiple graphics adapters which reads:

Are you using more than one video card?

Multiple video adapters can cause problems with GPU-accelerated or enabled features in Photoshop. It's best to connect two (or more) monitors into one video adapter. If you have to use more than one video adapter, make sure that they are the same make and model.
Otherwise, crashes and other problems can occur in Photoshop.

Note: Using more than one video adapter does not enhance Photoshop's performance.

I'm wondering if it's having trouble because you have both an Intel and AMD circuit in your system. I'm just shooting in the dark here, but try downloading gfxstatus and forcing the AMD graphics before you start up Photoshop.

http://gfx.io

Jan 11, 2014 5:21 AM in response to Rampax

Despite the message (where 'enhancements' may mean 3D work) are you able to use PS CC or does it just fail to open?

You shouldn't be having any problems with PS CC - I run it constantly on my Late 2011 model (which just had the logic board replaced because of a defective GPU) with no problems.

If you don't get any satisfaction here, try the Photoshop user forum -> http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop.

Clinton

Jan 11, 2014 5:51 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I too was running Photoshop CC fine before the replaced Logic Board.

Photoshop opens up fine.

But (intermittently) often when trying to open multiple files it will give me the warning:

"There is not enough RAM to perform the operation"

Then from this point you cant do ANYTHING without bringing up that warning, and you have to force quit, then delete the prefs upon reboot.

It can't be a RAM issue, as it used to work fine with the ram it currently has. I am only working with small files.

Also, my other "RAM guzzling" software all works fine.

From looking around it seems that from Photoshop CS6 upward Adobe changed the calls made to the GPU, which is why Photoshop CS5 still works fine.

Not sure what do to next. The only thing I can think of is to play with the Performance settings in Photoshop until I can get it working. Seems like I am having to lower my machines performance, it used to work fine with default settings.

Did you change any Performance settings?

Cheers.

Jan 28, 2014 8:51 AM in response to Rampax

I've been running into this message on my MBP with the same graphics card. I went to my Photoshop CC preference and it's showing that the graphics processor setting in the performance section is disabled. I suspected that it might have something to do with the "automatic graphics switching" in Mac OS X. I went to System Preferences > Energy Saver and unchecked "Automatic graphics switching". After doing this, Photoshop CC's graphics processor setting is now enabled and showing AMD Radeon 6750M as detected. Hope this helps.

Jan 29, 2014 8:03 AM in response to Jeff Junatas

Hi Jeff

If I go to: Photoshop > Preferences > Performance it does show the correct graphics card in there.

Unchecking "Automatic Graphics Switching" doesnt seem to make any difference on mine.

I did the Photoshop CC update just now and the problem is still there.

The only way I have found to make Photoshop CC even vaguely useable is to disable the "Sniffer" file:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4475288#4475288

Even after doing this I still get the RAM warning, but it seems more intermittant.

Even opening the Preferences often brings up the RAM warning.

I still don't know where the problem lies on my system, ie Adobe or Apple.

Updating the Graphics card driver: AMD Radeon HD 6750M MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.