Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please Help

Hi Guys,

I need help! Im not a mac wizard and i need to upgade my software - i cant upgrade anything until i do! I have a G4 PowerPC 1.67GHz 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM. Will i be able to run Leopard? I have been reading through all the other posts and i understand a little but keep reading that i wont be able to run it on this mac?? Is this correct?

Any other info is welcome.

Please speak to me like im stupid!! 😊

Thanks in advance

Kate

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.1)

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 5:26 AM

Hello AireyFairy,

Mac Os x Leopard Disc is not sold by Apple anymore, to buy Os x Leopard Disc you need to check with third paarty websites like Amazon, ebay, etc.

And you will find the System Requirement For installing Os x Leopard in the link below :

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp517

6 replies

Jan 11, 2014 6:04 AM in response to AireyFairy

Mac OS X 10.5 - Technical Specifications

General requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
  • 512MB of memory
  • DVD drive for installation
  • 9GB of available disk space
  • Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

As you have a PowerPC G4 1.67GHz Processor, 512MB RAM which means Mac Os x Leopard can be definitely installed on your Mac.

Jan 11, 2014 8:23 AM in response to AireyFairy

Both Leopard and Tiger will run on PPC and Intel.

Snow Leopard and above will only work on Intel.

G3, G4 and G5 are PPC not Intel

BDA often says that he thinks Tiger is better and faster than Leopard.

Leopard on my 733 MHz G4+ is about the same speed as Tiger.

Keep looking for a Leopard install DVD - I am sure you will find one at a reasonable price eventually.

Grey coloured disks only work on the type of Mac it was shipped with - make sure you buy a black retail one.

I suspect you could buy a Mac complete with Leopard install disk for a fraction of the above quoted $200.

The following page says you can buy Leopard install DVDs direct from Apple for $129: http://lowendmac.com/2013/best-mac-os-x-10-5-leopard-prices/

I suspect most people would look at eBay first.

Please Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.