Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After encoding, out of application memory: problem & solution

Shortly after completing a batch in Compressor 4.1 running in OS 10.9.1, I started receiving an error message that the system was out of application memory. (Despite the fact that I have 16 GB of RAM!) I had activity monitor open and there were numerous instances of "qmasterqd not responding" in red present. The error message made me force quit both compressor and activity monitor. I shut the computer all the way down and then rebooted. Reopened both programs. All of the qmasterqd not responding threads had disappeared in AM. Resubmitted my batch in compressor. As soon as it completed, all of the qmasterd not responding threads reappeared in AM. Also, I noticed that "application memory" went from about 2 GB to 15.99! I had to reboot again.

Mystery solved: I remembered that I also have FCS 3 installed on my hard drive (in its' separate folder). As an experiment, I cloned my HD to an external firewire drive. Then, on the clone, I uninstalled compressor 3.5, Apple Qmaster, and compressor 4.1 using Digital Rebellion's FCS uninstaller. Rebooted clone, emptied trash. Reinstalled compressor 4.1 from app store. Submitted batch as above- Problems went away. I suspect that the Qmaster stand alone program in FCS also became active when submitting a batch in compressor 4.1 that now has Qmaster already incorporated into it. This caused it to seize resources while competing with the new version. Uninstalling the old program removed this conflict. I went back to my original HD, uninstalled compressor 3.5 and apple Qmaster. No problems since doing that. And BTW, it was no great loss losing compressor 3.5 on my Mavericks system since it didn't work nearly as well as when I was running it in Lion!

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 5:49 AM

1 reply

After encoding, out of application memory: problem & solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.