Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac G5 won't start, no video Cinema HD 23"

Hi everyone!

One day my PM G5 decided not to boot.

I tried every keyboard shortcut, I changed the video card - I have the original and another one - and the PRAM battery but no change.

The first time I started after I changed the PRAM battaery it eventualy turned on and I saw the gray screen with the Apple logo and the spinning weel but after 5 minutes I turned it off because it did not finished the booting.

After that nothing. I tried to changed and swap the 8gb memory around and the 2 video card also but it didn't even get to the chime sound.

Than I started without any video card and it sounded the mac was booting and I heard the HDD loading all the fans were OK and so on. I can confirm it without the display.

If I put any of the video card in and restart I don't even geting the booting sound. After 2 minutes the fans are spinning faster and faster.

Is it the logic board or something else? Any idea?

Thanks for your help!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Power Mac G5 dual 1.8 with 8gbRAM

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 7:24 AM

9 replies

Jan 12, 2014 12:20 AM in response to biggiemachu

Hi there!

Status update!!! 🙂

I got the MAC running! Verrrrry happy but a little affraid.

I let the PM pluged in for the night the charge the PRAM battery. This morning I tried to start with the video card installed but nothing. I moved around a little bit the card with the Cinema Display pluged in, but nothing.

I let the mac on and and pluged my second screen in - Viewsonic 24" - to the other plug on the video card and nothing.

Than I turned off the mac, unpluged the CD, let the Viewsonic pluged in and restarted the mac to see if any comes up on the screen. And ... WOW! The display showed the start up screen and the mac came alive!

First the screen was yellow - I don't know why - but than I pluged the CD in and selected detect display and the CD showed the mirrored image of the other screen. Than I moved a little bit the video card - from the outside - and the correct color showed up.

Now I am testing the disc for any damages so I can be sure it1s running correctly!

I will keep you posted!

🙂

Jan 12, 2014 10:24 AM in response to biggiemachu

Hi!

Status update.

😟

unfortunately the MAC is still down.

I tried to restart it after doing a disc verification but no luck since.

It will start and boots without a video card but onec I put the card - any of them - in it won't even boot correctly.

At this point I don't know if its the logic board or the power supply. Or maybe something messing up my power on the board!

I'll wait untill tomorrow and leave the MAC pluged for overnight and see what happens in the morning.

Does anyone had this issue before?

Jan 13, 2014 1:39 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua!

Last night I left the mac unpluged and this morning I started up with only 2gb of RAM - I took the other 6 out - and only the second screen - Viewsonic - pluged in and it booted!

After that I tried to add the Cinema Display and click on Detect displays it recognized it. Than I tried to mirrror the screen and than move them around to be on order but the desktop was all messy, I thought I restart from the menu see what's going on but after booting in it frozend up. I was able to see the screen but the weel and mouse was frozen.

Since than no luck to boot. The only time it's starts and boots if non of the video cards are installed. If I put on in and start again I will only get the shime sound but I don't hear the HDD clicking. I can't see what's going on without a video card and a screen.

It looks like the card is working, the memory is working, the HDD is OK, I am not sure if it't the logic board or the power supply.

? Stucked and confused! Please HELP!!!

Jan 13, 2014 9:00 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi!

Once I put any of the graphics card in from the start the mac freezez. It does not recongize the keyboard.

Without the card installed everything sounds good but I can see what's going on without the display.

With the mouse I tried to click overt the Apple logo - blind, I just guess where it should be - and with the arrow keys go down to restart and it's works.

So the problem is I can' do anything when any of the graphics cards installed because on boot it won't even recognize it.

It starts, I hear the chime sound and FREEEEEZ! I can't hear the HDD pass to the booting section or something and load the thing is. Without the card it works? Is it the logic board or what? I have no idea now. 😟

Jan 13, 2014 9:21 PM in response to BDAqua

With the video card installed I start the mac, after the chime sound the boot freezez. If I tilt down the plastic airflow cover and unplug the video card, I can hear the HDD continues to boot and everything goes as it should.

The only thing is I don't have the display to confirm or check anything. ? How is that? If I plug the video card back in - while it's running nothing changes.

Power Mac G5 won't start, no video Cinema HD 23"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.