Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I go about writing a letter on my iPad.

I'm not sure how to attempt to write a letter on the iPad. Can anyone help.

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 4:16 PM

The replies to this question are totally unhelpful - bob is NOT asking how to write an email- he is asking how does one write a "traditional" letter and then print it ! e is there a word processing app on the I pad

24 replies

Jan 3, 2017 7:19 PM in response to whiterabbit69

whiterabbit69 wrote:

how many helpful clicks does he have vs yours Level 6 ??

Who is "he"?

If people other than the OP click "Helpful", it eventually adds up to some points that get added to the Level points. I don't remember how many clicks of a "Helpful" button equals how many points as, for me, points aren't the point. However, it takes a lot more of those to get points than when the OP marks the post as "Solved" or "Helpful".

Jan 4, 2017 6:14 AM in response to whiterabbit69

Oops, that link was removed.

Most points come when the original poster (OP) in a thread selects "Helpful" (5 points) or "Solved" (10 points). The "helpful" button, when clicked by someone other than the OP, just increments a counter. A couple of points are added when the number of helpfuls reaches 5. None before that. As you rarely see a post with 5 helpfuls that's not an effective way for points. You can also get points if Apple chooses your answer as "Recommended," but that is also rare. You get no points for just posting, except that you get 4 points the first time you post to the forum - but only once. So if you want points the best way to get them is to provide useful answers to the original poster only. As an example, someone with 10,000 points has helped between 1000 and 2000 people who came back and clicked Helpful or Solved. As only some people who are helped actually bother to click, you really need a lot more answers posted than those numbers.

Oct 15, 2015 4:35 PM in response to Romnarz

There is no built in App, but there are many options in the App Store, including but not limited to:

Microsoft Word

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-word/id586447913?mt=8

Apple's Pages

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/pages/id361309726?mt=8

Google Docs

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-docs/id842842640?mt=8

All of these are Free, (Pages has some exceptions)

As for Printing:

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Oct 16, 2015 2:49 PM in response to bobseufert

I Can't read his mind of course but I'm pretty sure what he mean is how do I use my ipad keyboard to type a 'letter ' an then print it

wwhat would be the point of handwriting on an ipad then printing it !

yuo might as well take a bit of blank paper and write on it

iI'm pretty sure he wants a ' word processor ' app such as ' pages ' word for ipad etc

tthree are several free apps that are probably ok for simple letters

I never do this on an ipad - I don't have a wifi printer but even if I did I much prefer to sit at my PC or Mac - type on a keybourd

tthen print it

typing all this on my ipad has been painfull and this interface seems to often get stuck -perhaps there is something wrong with my ipad

YOu May point out that u can get keyboards for an ipad - true - but u still then have to connect to a printer

MMany people have problems with this

Feb 12, 2016 3:45 AM in response to Romnarz

I Know this post is really old but exactly they did not ask how to write a email, they asked how to write a letter!?!? People are rude!! Also they marked "downloading the iPad user guide free from iBooks" as useful!! Not the part where they explain how to write an email!! It's obvious they wanted to know how to write a letter Then print it!!.

Feb 12, 2016 5:46 AM in response to caseyfromconcord

caseyfromconcord wrote:

I Know this post is really old but exactly they did not ask how to write a email, they asked how to write a letter!?!? People are rude!! Also they marked "downloading the iPad user guide free from iBooks" as useful!! Not the part where they explain how to write an email!! It's obvious they wanted to know how to write a letter Then print it!!.

And what value have you added to this thread? What useful technical support information? I hope you didn't sign up to the forums just to criticize other people who are trying to help. Whether or not they got it right, they actually tried.

We will never know what the OP actually meant as they have not posted back in two years. Your assumption that they meant a "letter" rather than an email is just that, your assumption. This is an international forum. People come here with a wide variety of backgrounds, original languages and vocabulary.

How do I go about writing a letter on my iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.