Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i use windows 7 OEM?

Can i use Windows 7 OEM ?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 7:53 PM

9 replies

Jan 11, 2014 10:53 PM in response to octo_1

octo_1 wrote:

Can i use Windows 7 OEM ?

According to Bootcamp support documents the user can only use a full retail version of the Windows 7/8 installer.

However, some EULA daredevils have been known to install Windows 7/8 using the System Builder version which is considered OEM. Needless to say that this kind of installation are out of license under Microsoft terms and is something that is not the legal and correct way to install Windows in your Mac.

I hope this helps you on your decision.

Jan 12, 2014 12:03 PM in response to vea1083

However, some EULA daredevils have been known to install Windows 7/8 using the System Builder version which is considered OEM. Needless to say that this kind of installation are out of license under Microsoft terms and is something that is not the legal and correct way to install Windows in your Mac.

I used the Win7/64 Home Premium System Builders Edition and it installed without issue, and it registered successfully with MS. Completely valid in their eyes. I used no hacks or tricks--just the regular BootCamp installer.

Jan 12, 2014 12:32 PM in response to Mr. Riebmann

Mr. Riebmann wrote:

Rudegar wrote:

as bob say plus

oem versions tie to the hardware so if you use it and activate it and want to reuse it on another computer later on then you need to call ms when you want to reactivate it

I could install the Win7 OEM a second time without calling MS. First on my iMac, than on my MacBook Air without problems. So it seems to work

Did you activate it a second time?

Jan 12, 2014 1:02 PM in response to Mr. Riebmann

Mr. Riebmann wrote:

That was my opinion as well. Nevertheless, the one win7 oem runs on both of my macs and I activated both of them using the same activation code via internet.

Are you sure you have an OEM version of Windows? If so, you are likely in odds with the license agreement.

Excerpt from the Microsoft OEM license:

"Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required."

See Licensing here:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#f bid=NJirlt8WhG4

Can i use windows 7 OEM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.