Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which Method of Making USB Mavericks Installer?

I use Mavericks OS X 10.9.1. Which of the following methods should I use to make a USB Mavericks Installer/Re-Installer?:

1. How to Create an OS X Mavericks USB Installation Drive: lifehacker.com/how-to-create-an-os-x-mavericks-usb-installation-drive-145028002 6

(this method performs a "clean install") do I need to perform a clean install?

2. How to make a bootable install of Mavericks on Flash USB Drive? - MacRumors Forums: forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1649986

(does this method performs a "clean install?") do I need a clean install?

3. The MacRumors Forums talks about "a copy of OS X Mavericks GM." What is a "OS X Mavericks GM?" What does GM mean?

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 10:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 10:36 PM

Both methods are the same and are the steps Apple gives users to create a bootable USB drive with the Mavericks installer.

You only need to perform a clean install if OS X Mavericks is not working correctly. If this is not the case, you will just be reinstalling OS X Mavericks and you will keep all your files. To perform a clean install, first you need to erase the hard drive with Disk Utility.

Angel Llorente wrote:

3. The MacRumors Forums talks about "a copy of OS X Mavericks GM." What is a "OS X Mavericks GM?" What does GM mean?

Ignore that. OS X Mavericks GM was OS X Mavericks Golden Master, which was the final version Apple gave to developers. That version is not available anymore, and you will be downloading 10.9.1 from the Mac App Store.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2014 10:36 PM in response to Angel Llorente

Both methods are the same and are the steps Apple gives users to create a bootable USB drive with the Mavericks installer.

You only need to perform a clean install if OS X Mavericks is not working correctly. If this is not the case, you will just be reinstalling OS X Mavericks and you will keep all your files. To perform a clean install, first you need to erase the hard drive with Disk Utility.

Angel Llorente wrote:

Ignore that. OS X Mavericks GM was OS X Mavericks Golden Master, which was the final version Apple gave to developers. That version is not available anymore, and you will be downloading 10.9.1 from the Mac App Store.

Which Method of Making USB Mavericks Installer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.