Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" Thunderbolt Display Fan noise

Hi all,

I have a macbook pro late 2012 and just baugt a brand new 27" thunderbolt display. When I connect to the macbook, I noticed that the fan of the thunderbolt display first runns full speeed for about 10 sec and then slows down a bit but keeps running constantly, creating disturbing noise, which causes a headache after a while. I have a colleague with the same configuration and his display is quiet - no fan running.

Is there anything that can be done to correct this? Many thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 27" Thunderbolt Display

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 3:19 AM

6 replies

Sep 3, 2016 8:57 AM in response to QaisarSchem

This is a recurring problem in about 30% of Thunderbolt monitors (sample size of several dozen). Sometimes it can take a year or more to manifest itself, taking it out of warranty. I think Apple should release new firmware that at least allows a user to control the fan and/or monitor the temperature. Lugging a Thunderbolt monitor, in its suitcase-sized box, down to the Apple Store, and waiting a week to have the fan replaced for $100, only to have the problem recur (sometimes), is really EXPENSIVE in terms of time and FRUSTRATION.

I am sorry that Apple is discontinuing the 27" Thunderbolt monitor, but I think Apple should support the installed base, if only because those of us who spend $1000/monitor do it because we are accustomed to Apple's usual high quality and reliability -- and this fan noise is just unacceptable. I apologize if I seem irritable in this post, but I *just* had another Thunderbolt monitor start making that annoying noise -- now I have to disconnect it from my fully loaded Mac Pro, and work with only two monitors while it has its fan replaced.

Can this be fixed with another firmware update, or is there a design flaw in the monitor?

27" Thunderbolt Display Fan noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.