Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD - Burning DVDs for USA Viewing

Hi

I live in the UK and I have elderly relatives in the US. I use iDVD and want to burn slideshows initially but then also movies of old family pictures to DVDs (I used DVD-R Verbatim discs) to send over to the US for them to watch and I hope enjoy.

I tried burning 6 slideshows to a DVD using iDVD, iPhoto was the source for the photos. When I created the project I changed the video mode fro PAL to NTSC. I posted the DVD off but it seems upon receipt it couldn't be played.

Can anyone suggest where I might be going wrong and how I might produce something here in the UK that might be playable in the US.

Many thanks,

Q

iDVD '08, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 4:56 AM

3 replies

Jan 12, 2014 5:56 AM in response to qfieldboden

Hi

Yes iMovie and iDVD - Can convert from 25 frames per second (PAL) to 29.97 fps (NTSC)

BUT VERY BAD !

So I use to either convert material first to NTSC and then edit with iMovie set to NTSC and so iDVD

OR

I create my movie and Export it as Quicktime .mov - Convert it - then import into a NEW (NTSC) iDVD project

(last way I favour)

I use JES_Deinterlacer to do the Conversion - as it is Free from Internet and does this as well as it nearly can be done. There are Pro-applications - to an astronomical cost - and I can barely see the difference.

My old notes on this:

PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL

User uploaded file

A. Copying commercial DVDs - No Not possibly at all - Not even legal to discuss.

B. Home made DVDs (DVDs without copy protection)

C. Movies from iMovie or FinalCut

Save as full quality QuickTime .mov and convert this with JES_Deinterlacer (free on internet)

NTSC ---> PAL.

Most often not necessary - Most stand alone PAL DVD-players playback NTSC

(if TV is old in BL/W)

PAL ---> NTSC.

If played on Mac - not necessary AT ALL

If on NTSC DVD-player - CONVERSION IS NEEDED - nearly no Stand alone NTSC-DVD-players

playback PAL at all.

To do this You need to convert the PAL DVD to streaming.DV or full quality QuickTime .mov

I use Roxio Toast™ to do this (There are no free converter)

JES_Deinterlacer (free on internet) to convert to NTSC

Set up an NTSC project (29.97fps or 30) in iDVD and import then burn

I burn to

Verbatim DVD-R - DVD-R plays on even older DVD-players

Set down burn speed in iDVD to x1 or x4 recommended by many - IMPORTANT !

Secure a minimum of 25Gb free space on internal boot hard disk before burning (IMPORTANT)

PAL is 25 fps and an analog TV standard of 625 lines

NTSC is 29.97 fps and 520 lines

NTSC (29.97fps) 520 lines - about 640x480 pixels (square) 720x480 rectangular (narrow) pixels

PAL (25 fps) 625 lines - about 768x576 pixels (square) 720x576 rectangular (narrow) pixels

to use a photo 702x480 resp 576 then add 9 pixels on each side to add together as 720

If iDVD hangs on PAL or NTSC.

Bengt W wrote

Deleting iDVD pref. file - should return You into NTSC mode.

Yes iDVD can switch to PAL - BUT as You see with a rather lousy result.

a. Need to convert to PAL - most often not - Most PAL-player can playback NTSC

and on a fairly new TV in color. (old TV in Bl/W)

(Other way around - from PAL to NTSC most often a must - few NTSC-player can use PAL)

b. IF MUST - then use JES_Deinterlacer to do this conversion - so much better and free.

My list on this (or rather PAL --> NTSC - just think the other way around)

I have to send it overseas

That too can be a problem. As USA = NTSC = 29.97fps and EU = PAL = 25fps.

DO Not let iMovie or iDVD do this conversion from one to the other - Result will be Very

BAD

I save the movie as a full quality QuickTime .mov file then I use JES_Deinterlacer to do the conversion - then I cont. in iMovie or iDVD with project set accordingly.

JES_Deinterlacer is free on Internet and there are Pro applications but not that much better and costs are astronomical.

PAL-DVDs - don't play in US

NTSC-DVDs - usually plays well in EU

All plays well on a Mac - What ever.

Allosaurus writes

Thank you SDMacuser. I dumped all the plist icons with no result, and was getting pretty plist off when it occurred to me to delete all the previous dvd.proj files. Bingo. That did the trick. So thank you for all your help and the additional information you provided.

Yours Bengt W

iDVD - Burning DVDs for USA Viewing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.