Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleScript Ping Router

I have a late model (purchased October 2013) MacBook Air running 10.8.5. Like many, many others with late-model MBAs, I have constant WiFi connection problems with my MBA. WiFi will drop periodically for no apparent reason (iPhone, Win 7 laptop, MacBook Pro on same network have no issues; wired ethernet with the MBA doesn't have problems). The issue is discussed extensively (over 130 pages of Apple Support forum issues) without an apparent true fix or absolute cause identified.

One particular user has posted very helpful information with a suggested temporary fix/workaround being to ping your own router every 0.2 seconds, to help stabilize and reduce latency on the MBA. I used both the Terminal and the Network Utility Ping application to ping my router, and this seemed to "fix" the issue for my MBA and its WiFi connectivity, while the router was being pinged (pinged for about 15 minutes, no dropped WiFi connection during that time; ended ping utility and WiFi intermittent drop out continued).

What would be great would be to have an AppleScript that would initiate a ping to my router, with a time interval of 0.2 seconds (pinging 5 times per second), that I could run while I'm actively using the MacBook Air, and then I would terminate the AppleScript when I'm done using the MBA. Hopefully whenever Apple provides true support or a fix for this known issue, I wouldn't need the AppleScript anymore.

Question: Is anyone able to help me create an AppleScript that would ping my router to accomplish the above task?

The idea would be:

1. Initiate AppleScript --> input would be requested to request router's IP address --> input router's IP address --> input requested on "Okay to start ping now?" --> Once I answered "yes" AppleScript would initiate a ping to my router at the provided IP address every 0.2 seconds --> continue ping until I terminate the AppleScript.

The more basic the information the better, to help my feeble mind create the AppleScript (or if it's more appropriate, an Automator workflow).

Many thanks in advance if anyone is willing to help. Cheers!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 8:45 AM

There are no replies.

AppleScript Ping Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.