Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to eject phantom "remote disc" on Mavericks?

I bought this laptop second hand, and since I've bought it and through one OS upgrade it's had this "remote disc" in the Finder under "Macintosh HD" and "Network".

Every time I try to eject it nothing happens. I can't open it. It's bizarre.

Any ideas?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2017 5:39 AM

Remote Disc is for accessing Shared CD/DVD drives on older hardware.

If you still want mounted .dmg files showing in the Sidebar, but don’t want to the Remote Disc icon also, then simply grab it and drag it off the Finder Window until the icon changes.

Just like when removing an app or folder from the Dock – poof, and it’s gone!

In Finder’s Preferences, the CD/DVD checkbox (under Devices) will show a - sign, and if you need it back in the future, just uncheck, then check the checkbox, and it’ll re-appear.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2017 5:39 AM in response to desylvester

Remote Disc is for accessing Shared CD/DVD drives on older hardware.

If you still want mounted .dmg files showing in the Sidebar, but don’t want to the Remote Disc icon also, then simply grab it and drag it off the Finder Window until the icon changes.

Just like when removing an app or folder from the Dock – poof, and it’s gone!

In Finder’s Preferences, the CD/DVD checkbox (under Devices) will show a - sign, and if you need it back in the future, just uncheck, then check the checkbox, and it’ll re-appear.

Feb 27, 2016 8:47 AM in response to Dakoda

this doesn't remove it though, it just stops you from seeing it, when you go onto your macbook, for example I've added a picture, as you can see on my sidebar it says that it isn't there, but it clearly is, this happened when i tried to open a .dmg file i downloaded and an error message came up saying it cannot open, ever since then it hasn't gone, even after a restart, which, as there is no disk tray on my mac, should get rid of it.User uploaded file

Nov 27, 2016 11:52 AM in response to NoneoftheBoxes

Try this:

To remove:

1. Launch Terminal
  2. Enter the following string:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool false

1. Type your password to continue
  2. Enter the following string:

killall Finder

The icon should now be gone from both Finder and your sidebar

The icon is present on Macs which do not have optical drives but may still need access to the physical media from another computer. To reverse and make the icon show again, repeat the steps but replace "false" with "true" in step 2.

I found it on this website: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/188990/how-do-i-remove-remote-disc-from -finder-not-in-the-sidebar

It gets rid of the icon in finder, but not sure if the file is technically gone?

How to eject phantom "remote disc" on Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.