Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fully separate my iTunes library from my mom's?

I made a new apple account, I put all my music on my phone and then synced it to my new account. However, whenever I delete one of the songs off my new account, it still deletes off my mom's library.

GarageBand '09

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 9:56 AM

6 replies

Jan 12, 2014 10:09 AM in response to Rferris22

Some of this isn't making sense.

iTunes accounts cannot be split. While you can put a copy, or even move a file, of media purchased in your own library on a computer, the media itself will remain permanently attached to the iTunes online account with which it is purchased.

The only way I can think of that you are seeing what you say is if you added a file from your mother's library to your library on the computer, then delete it from your library on the computer (not your account which is something in Apple's Cloud) and in doing so it removes the file to which your mother's library is pointing...

I guess the other possibility is your mother didn't have an account in the first place and although you were using her iTunes library on the computer it was really using your iTunes account...

Jan 12, 2014 11:15 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you for answering so quickly!!

What we have been doing was sharing one account between my laptop and her iPad. So I made a new account using my own email account. I put all my music from the share account onto my iPhone and then signed into my new account on the laptop and synced what was on my phone onto the library. But still if I try making changes even if I'm logged into my account, it does the same thing on the original account. Would it be best if I just take everything off my new one and start over completely?

Jan 12, 2014 11:44 AM in response to Rferris22

Unfortunately the term "account" is vague because there are computer accounts and iTunes Store/Apple Id accounts which are not the same thing at all. Then there is the iTunes library which is something yet again (and sometimes people call it an "account" too 😟 ). It isn't an account. In essence it is a single file that contains a list of files selected by a user of a computer account to present in the iTunes window when you start iTunes. To make it more complicated you each user can have an iTunes library in their separate computer accounts, or they can share a single iTunes library, and those accounts can have their own media or even share files. So you can have your own iTunes store account, and your own iTunes library sharing media from your mother's store account!

When creating your own AppleID you start off with a store account with zero content. You have media on your phone but it is from your mother's store account. You created a new library on the computer and synced to that. In reality syncing is one way only, computer to device, with the exception of purchased content which will transfer to a computer that is authorized to that account used to purchased the material.

Now this "original account" What is that?

Jan 12, 2014 12:34 PM in response to Limnos

The only computer account on my laptop is my own. I created a new Itunes Store/Apple Id account last night in attempt to have it separated from the one previously being used. I just wanted to have my own Itunes account so that the songs I add and delete will be only mine. I was hoping to not have my mom's and my own account connected at all.

The orignial account is the Itunes account that has both my mother's and my apps and music from our desktop. However, we no longer have a desktop, we just have the one ipad and my laptop.

If I were to take away all the media that I had transferred from my iphone that came from the shared account and then started over, by uploading music from cds, would that solve it my problem?

Jan 12, 2014 8:31 PM in response to Rferris22

I created a new Itunes Store/Apple Id account last night in attempt to have it separated from the one previously being used. I just wanted to have my own Itunes account so that the songs I add and delete will be only mine.

Still not clear. You created a store account. The only way to add songs to an itunes Store account is to buy them from Apple. You can't delete anything once purchased, nor transfer it to a different account. This kind of account has nothing to do with music you have on CDs unless you have iTunes Match too (no mention of that).

Anything you do to your iTunes library on your laptop should in no way affect your mothers's library. I am not sure where that is now since you say you now have the only computer. Maybe she no longer has a library? Or did you end up with trying to run two Store accounts out of one library on your laptop? That might account for the problems you are seeing. If that's what's happened then you need to set up a separate computer account for her on your laptop so she can set up her own iTunes library and maintain her own iTunes Store account through it. You have your own too, and we'll deal with how you can use the stuff you bought through her account later.

This is where you have to be very, very precise in the terminology you use because it is easy to get confusing.

Oct 4, 2016 7:08 AM in response to Rferris22

Bro you gotta use multiple iTunes libraries on your computer, you first have to create them. To do this, quit iTunes if it's running. Next hold down the Option key (if you use a Mac) or the Shift key (if you use Windows) and then click the iTunes icon to launch the program.

Here you are full set - Rest you know how to proceed further I guess.

How do I fully separate my iTunes library from my mom's?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.