Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best program for back-up usable/accessible over NAS?

Apologies if this question has been addressed previously. Here's my current set-up and what I'm looking for: MacBook Pro running OS X Mavericks. I have Time Machine set-up for back up to a 2TB WD My Book. Once a week, I plug the HDD into the MBP for the Time Machine backup and the rest of the time it's plugged into our router acting as an NAS. This takes care of my restoration back-up needs. (it's not the most efficient system, but until they enable Time Machine backup over NAS it's my only option). However, we also have a lot of other movies, pictures, documents and other files from old PCs backed up to the NAS - essentially as a media share drive and old document repository. We are primarily a "tablet" family and use our iPads, iPhones, Kinde Fires, etc to access these movies, pictures, and files - again, maybe not the best system but it works for us. What I would like to do is be able to access the files, pictures, music, etc that are actually on the MBP as well (access EVERYTHING from my iPad). The Time Machine back-up files are also not accessible from any other devices (unless I'm missing something there) and I know sharing the MBP over the network is also an option, but since we mainly use our tablets the MBP isn't online most of the time. So, I'm left looking for an additional program where I can back-up specific files (music, pics, docs, movies mainly) to the HDD periodically so we can access them when the MBP is off the net. I've heard of CarbonCopyClone and Super Duper!, but was looking for input as to which might be better suited. Do either of them do back-up over NAS? Is either better/easier to set up for backing up only certain files with each to a specific location? Or are there other options?

I'm pretty much open to any input, including different/better courses of action that may suit my purposes. I'm moderately tech-savvy and can usually figure things out. But I'm a recent convert to the Mac computers, so I'm open to the experience and expertise of others. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 10:20 AM

1 reply

Jan 12, 2014 10:54 AM in response to Jplum1980

Well... you can just drag and drop files to a NAS, which might be easiest based on what you're saying. You could use Carbon Copy Cloner, as it has the ability to run incremental backups. In that case you'd identify what folders you wanted to transfer.

You should know though that a company called Synology makes a NAS device which is also Time Machine compatible. You wouldn't have to worry about physically plugging in cables or losing a week's worth of data.

www.synology.com

Best program for back-up usable/accessible over NAS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.