Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac to "old" iMac transfer

I have a new iMac (late 2013), OS X, version 10.9.1, and I would like to transfer all applications, set-up, files, folders, etc. from my "old" iMac (Mid 2007), OS X, version 10.9.1. What do I need to do? What cable to get? Where to get it? How to do it?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), New iMac to "old" iMac transfer

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 12:16 PM

6 replies

Jan 12, 2014 12:31 PM in response to nbar

Thank you.

I have a time machine. I did the following:

1. Plugged the 3TB "My Book for Mac" to the old iMac and use the time machine to load all on it.

2. Thank, I plugged the "My Book for Mac" to the new iMac and use the time machine feature. But, I can not see the old set up on my new iMac. What am I doing wrong?

Jan 12, 2014 12:43 PM in response to nbar

Thank you.

The new iMac is already set up and working. But, it has all new as it came from Apple. So, I might have done the time machine on the new iMac as new. How can I check it and know where am I.

The control bar on the bottom of the screen of the old iMac has all my applications, the new iMac does not. I assumed that once I put the 3T drive with the time machine data from the old to the new. Than, all would transfer. Would that be the idea and end results of the transfer?

Can I start again?

Jan 12, 2014 12:48 PM in response to Mike AMS

Can I start again?

Yes, here is an excerpt from Pondini's page on "starting over". These instruction apply to your new machine. Follow them carefully and make sure you have a working and complete time machine backup from your old machine.

1. Start from your Recovery HD, select Disk Utility, and erase your internal HD.
  2. b.Quit Disk Utility, select Reinstall Mac OS X, and follow the on-screen instructions.
  3. c.When your Mac restarts, use Setup Assistant to transfer your apps, data, etc., per Using Setup Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion. If you're using Time Machine for backups, and want old backups to be treated as if they were made from the new or erased Mac, be sure to transferComputer Settings as well (they're transferred by default).
  4. d.When your Mac restarts, you may need to install the "combo" OSX update to get back to the version of OSX you were running. See Installing the ''combo'' update and/or Reinstalling OSX.

New iMac to "old" iMac transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.