Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I went to back up my MacBook to an external hard drive, an error message said the backup could not be completed because an error occurred when creating the backup folder.

I used a backup hard drive for my previous PC, but I have not done a backup on my MacBook yet, which I got this summer. When I hooked it up to my computer, it started the backup fine, and then my computer went to sleep, and so I closed it to let it back up overnight. The next morning I saw that it had been interrupted, and that an error occurred; the backup could not be completed because there was an error in creating the backup folder. I'm not sure what to do now because my data has been erased off of my hard drive now to prepare for the backup on my MacBook, but will I be able to use this hard drive again? Will the error message always come up? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 2:06 PM

There are no replies.

When I went to back up my MacBook to an external hard drive, an error message said the backup could not be completed because an error occurred when creating the backup folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.