Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I configure OX X to mirror external display by default?

I often connec my Macbook to my Dyndadock U3.0 to use full size keyb/mouse/monitor along with fast network connection, and then I fold up my Macbook to get it out of the way. By default, the Macbook exends the display, so I get the navigate to the Display settings and check "mirror" display before I close the Macbook. While this isn't horrible, it is an irritating extra step that I would not miss if it were eliminated.

Is there a way to change the Macbook's default behavior when connecting an external display? I could not find anything in Preferences->Displays to make the setting "stick".

Just in case, I'm using Dynadock U3.0 and Displaylink 2.1 drivers. I connect via USB to the Dynadock and the monitor is connected to the dock with an HDMI cable.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 8GB RAM 256MB SSD Hard Drive

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 4:25 PM

4 replies

Mar 11, 2014 3:35 PM in response to John Guo

I'm also having the same problem ever since I got my new MacBook Pro, which is running on Mavericks.

Every time I plug my computer into a projector, mirroring is turned off and I have to go into the Displays preferences to turn it on. It never remembers that I want mirroring on by default. Even if I had the computer pluggined into the same projector, turn on mirroring, unplug it, then plug it back in a few seconds later, mirroring is then turned off and I have to reopen system preferences to turn it back on.

It's super annoying. Previous to Mavericks, the Displays preferences would remember if mirroring was on or off the last time you were using that type of display. It seems like that functionality is lost now.

Apr 11, 2014 8:22 AM in response to John Guo

The suggestion by John Guo to simply change the setting in System Preferences is not at all helpful. The system reverts to a default extended desktop next time.

I am a teacher, I mostly rely on a mirrored display set-up for rapid navigation among items I wish to show to the class. It requires nearly 30 seconds of valuable class time to switch the setting EVERY FRICKING TIME I use a projector (2-3 out of 5 classes).

There has to be a way to change the default setting. How do we do it?

How do I configure OX X to mirror external display by default?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.