Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fixing Bluetooth driver installation via Bootcamp on Windows 7

There seems to be a defect with the BOOTCAMP drivers that are bundled for the late 2013 MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display. I am software engineer and I have a lot of experience developing drivers for both Windows and Mac, so I wanted to share the fix with the community, since it very much non-trivial.

How to Reproduce the Problem

• On Mac OS X 10.9 download the driver bundle for Windows through Bootcamp Assistant and put it on a USB stick formatted as FAT (MS-DOS)
  • either:
    • install Windows 7 from an ISO image
    • restore a Windows 7 image from another MacBook Pro using WinClone (this the route I've taken, but I suspect the problem will occur anyways as I've seen this issue pop up through Google and there is no reason it would work otherwise)
  • once Windows 7 starts, try installing the Bootcamp driver by running setup.exe in the Bootcamp folder of the USB stick you created earlier
  • the installation will go on for a while and then fail saying that the Bootcamp drivers are not designed for this machine
  • restart Windows and through the device manager you'll find under "other devices" that the Bluetooth USB Controller has an exclamation point on it

Problem

The Bluetooth driver bundled by Bootcamp Assistant has a defect and will fail to install. You can also verify that the Bluetooth driver is not installing correctly, by running AppleBluetoothInstaller64.exe in the folder BootCamp\Drivers\Apple on your USB stick and you'll get the message that the driver is "not needed (No device for update present)".

Solution

First of all let me give a little disclaimer: ONLY A TECHNICAL PERSON SHOULD DO THIS!

Ok, let's begin.

• use a good decompression tool like WinRAR to extract the file BootCamp\Drivers\Apple\AppleBluetoothInstaller64.exe into a folder (the exe is just a self-extracting archive)
  • in that folder, edit the file AppleBT64.inf with a text editor
  • under the section titled [Apple.NTamd64.6.1] add the following line

Apple Built-in Bluetooth=AppleBt, USB\VID_05ac&PID_8289

• save your changes
  • now go to the device manager, right-click on the Bluetooth Controller with the exclamation point and select "Update Driver Software"
  • select "Browse My Computer for Driver Software"
  • browse to the folder that contains the inf file that you modified (e.g. BootCamp\Drivers\Apple\AppleBluetoothInstaller64), make sure "Include Subfolders" is checked and click next
  • if the fix worked, Windows should tell you that the Bluetooth Driver was installed successfully
  • wait a few minutes! You should now see a little baloon pop-up on the tray saying "Installing Driver Software" and after a minute or so your Bluetooth controller should be working correctly
  • restart Windows. On restart the OS may discover and install additional devices related to the Bluetooth controller

Example AppleBT64.inf

Original

; for Windows 7 only

[Apple.NTamd64.6.1]

; No action

; OS will load in-box driver.

Modified

; for Windows 7 only

[Apple.NTamd64.6.1]

; No action

; OS will load in-box driver.

Apple Built-in Bluetooth=AppleBt, USB\VID_05ac&PID_8289

Why does the fix work?

• when you go to device manager and check the hardware IDs of the Bluetooth controller (properties->Details->Hardware Ids), you find that hardware descriptors for it are: VID: 05AC and PID: 8289
  • there is no mention of this hardware ID in the inf file and that is why Windows can't match the driver with the hardware
  • I checked the Bluetooth Controller on an earlier late 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina Display with Windows 7 installed, and the hardware descriptors are specified correctly in the driver (05AC and 8286)

Conclusion

This is clearly a defect with the BOOTCAMP driver bundle for the late 2013 MacBook Pro 15". I also found other people mentioning this issues through a Google search, but no one had found a proper fix yet. I hope Apple will implement a proper fix to save big headeaches for others trying to run Windows on this otherwise excellent laptop.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 7, Late 2013 Model 15"

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 6:22 PM

13 replies

Feb 1, 2014 2:26 AM in response to gabes25

Hi, what version of bootcamp were you using? I have tried this on my May 2009 Macbook PRO and it didn't work. I was already up to Version 3.3 of bootcamp and installed windows service pack 1. I tried your fix on version 3.0 (that came on Snow Leopard DVD). I noticed that the ApplrBT64.inf didn't have a [Apple.NTamd64.6.1] section so I just added it in. I found my hardward id was 8217, so I used that instead of your 8289, but it just didn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks

Feb 5, 2015 7:31 AM in response to gabes25

I tried several ideas to get bluetooth working on my Bootcamp Windows 7 partition. Then I bought a bluetooth USB adapter. This didn't work. The only solution for me was a bluetooth transmitter. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=b luetooth+transmitter

I specifically bought this one, http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Headphones/dp/B00E 174RTS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1423150048&sr=8-7&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter, but it has since gone way up in price.

Fixing Bluetooth driver installation via Bootcamp on Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.