Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cable or accessory not certified message

I have an iPhone 5 and I've been getting the message 'this cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone'. I have visited the Apple store and received a replacement phone at least 10 times. I am using all authentic Apple chargers. The last time I received a replacement, they suggested that I start my newest phone from new instead of a backup and discontinue using any of the cables that I have for my phone and get a new one (which I did). Now I am still getting this message. I am an avid runner and use my phone daily while running using the Nike+ app and listening to music. By any chance could it be the headphones that are causing this error message? I've tried 2 types of running headphones and still have the same problem. I really don't want to go to Apple and suggest that it would be my headphones. They will obviously tell me that they are the problem and not to use them. Running with Apple headphones just aren't even remotely possible. I have owned an iPhone since 2009 and love my phone as a whole, but am very frustrated at this point.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 6:28 PM

3 replies

May 21, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Goofydiz

I am having a similar problem – but not running or headphones –I like othersI am having a similar problem – but not running or headphones – though I do keep my phone in pocket & have very active dusty Outdoor work. Probably after latest iOS revision, one by one, charging cords, some EXPENSIVE, (6 foot, also, very buff ribbon cable ones, and "cheapies" alike) were said to be "not certified". Had used a totally waterproof case for six months, on my first 5S, – until some good pictures I took came out soft focus, because of its perenniall used a totally waterproof case for six months, on my first 5S, – until some good pictures I took came out soft focus, because of case's perennially dirty lens cover. Soon after, port issues. Flipping cable worked for awhile... Then, when i was ready to return that 6 or 8 mo. old 5s, because NO cord would charge, w/o weighting cord to put vertical pressure on the still-functioning pins, on last working cable, I found that the 100.00 Mophie charging case worked perfectly with the (damaged?) phone, but returned the phone on insurance... brand new (Referb, TMobile's ins. plan) 5s is now giving the same "unsupported" message - returned the Mophie case for brand new unopened one; so, 18 hours later, with refurb phone and NEW Mophie case - which seems to be a great product – I am having trouble, no abuse of either item by me. – It seems that this charging, unsupported thing is costing Apple, and every company downstream from Apple, plus users, who just want to buy some cool accessories not thought I am having trouble, no abuse of either item by me. – It seems thay these charging issues plus the new "uncertified accessory" thing is costing Apple, and every company downstream from Apple, plus iPhone users, lots of money, in returns and replacement phones- who just want to buy or produce useful products not thought of or available from apple, - this Mosie case, was set to make my phone finally run all day on a charge… Since it does not normally, when I give it to good use! Which includes taking pictures of my work, posting them to Twitter, and driving directions…I had hoped the Mophie case wi this Mosie case, was set to make my phone finally run all day on a charge… Since it does not normally, when I give it to good use! Which includes taking pictures of my work, posting them to Twitter, and driving directions… I hoped the Mophie charging case, with its micro USB charging input, would help me not have to constantly plug in my IPhone throughout the day, which can only increase damage to a (badly designed charging port /wire system? - never had 30 pin problems with my 3G!...)

May 21, 2015 8:49 AM in response to Goofydiz

Disregard my reply below, it has multiple repetitions and I don't know how that happened… Here is what I wanted to say:

I am having a similar problem – but not running or headphones –I, like others, am having a charging port / cables problem -and now a charging CASE problem – I do keep my phone in pocket & like you, am active: I have very busy, dusty, Outdoor work. Probably as result of latest iOS revision, one by one, charging cords, some EXPENSIVE, (6 foot, cloth covered, & also, a very buff brightly colored ribbon cable, & also "cheapies" alike) were said to be "not certified".

I HAD, it should be noted, previously used a totally waterproof Otter case for prior six months, on my first 5S, – until some good pictures I took came out soft focus, and hated flare issues from flash with that case (soft focus, because of case's perennially dirty lense window) (though NO charging port issues with Otter Metro, non waterproof, case, on my first 5S).

I quit the waterproof case some months ago, when some good pix I took came out soft focus, because of case's perennially dirty lens cover. Soon after, port issues surfaced for first time.. Flipping cable insertion direction helped, for awhile... Then, when i was ready to return the 6 or 8 mo. old 5s, because NO cord would charge, but one, and not even that one, w/o carefully weighting cord, to put vertical pressure on the still-functioning pins, on that last working cable.

At the T-Mobile store, found 100.00 Mophie charging case worked perfectly with the (damaged?) phone, as I waited for replacement to arrive; keeping my phone charged all day w/o having to nurse its tender charging port. - but I returned the phone on insurance...due to port issues with other cables... Now, brand new (Referb, mailed to me by TMobile's ins. plan) 5s is now giving the same "unsupported" message with cankles AND BRAND NEW Mophie case - I returned the Mophie case for brand new unopened one; due to its (unrelated, I think) failure; when18 hours later – I am having trouble, and the unsupported message! No abuse of either new phone or case, by me. – and I AM FRUSTRATED ALSO!

It seems that this "charging port, unsupported thing" is costing Apple, and every company downstream from Apple, plus users, lots of money: people who just want to buy - or produce - some cool accessories not thought of or available from Apple...For example, - this Mosie case, was set to make my phone finally run all day on a charge… Since it does not normally do so, when I give it to good use! -Which includes: taking pictures of my work, posting them to Twitter, and using GPS driving directions, and Expensify for mileage logging & receopts…I additionally hoped the Mophie charging case, with its micro USB charging input, would help me no longer have to constantly plug in my IPhone throughout the day, which can only increase damage to a (badly designed?) new charging port /wire system? - never had 30 pin problems with my 3G!...)

Cable or accessory not certified message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.