Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV will not show my computer under Home Sharing

I have a 2nd gen Apple TV with latest software update. It is connected to my iTunes account and to my network via WiFi and has Home Sharing turned on using my apple id.

I have iTunes 11.1.3 (most current ver) with Home Sharing turned on to the same apple account as my Apple TV.

Despite this relatively straightforward set up, my Apple TV fails to show my computer or my iTiunes library under Computers. I have access to all of my purchased movies and shows via the same account, but not Home Sharing.

In the past Home Sharing has worked but at some point something changed after an Apple TV software update and now nothing I do can bring Home Sharing back online.

There doesn't seem to be much that can go wrong here but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm on a brand new iMac with Mavericks (but this began on my old iMac before the upgrade).

Any help is appreciated,

Dave

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 7:53 PM

Just to confirm, home sharing is turned on both on your ATV and your computers' iTunes, right?

Also, confirm that your machine is on and iTunes is open on your machine.

sharing with Apple TV

14 replies

Jan 12, 2014 8:07 PM in response to nbar

Home sharing is on for both ATV and iTunes, iTunes is on, machine is on (am using it right now : P )

I've toggled Home Sharing on both iTunes and ATV several times with no change. ATV just shows the apple ID it will use and says it will connect when it detects iTunes with Home Sahring on that ID. It's the same Apple ID, I only have one.

I'm stumped.

Aug 3, 2014 5:33 PM in response to nbar

Hello!

I have come across the same issue and chose your response to reply to since it seems to be the most recent- First, the set up at the house:

MacBook Pro mid-2010

AppleTV Gen2

Belkin router

Two iPhones- 4s

iPad 3- Retina / WiFi only (set up with a different apple id- wife's iPad)

So- I have the same apple ID set up on the laptop, apple TV and my phone. Home Sharing is set to the same account on all these devices and the AppleTV does not recognize any of them. I do not see the Apple TV, nor the laptop, in the remote app on my phone.

I have the network set with a password in WPA/WPA2 mode and no firewall set up on with the router or the laptop...

Help?

I've read through many comments about ipV6- but that seemed to be based on windows machines, I've read that a mid 2010 MacBook Pro doesn't have the guts to handle homesharing, I have restarted and restored the appleTV as well as logged everything out and back in again...

Not sure where to go from here- thanks for any guidance.

Aug 25, 2014 3:39 PM in response to mandmkb

I'm running into the same issue as mandmkb.

Late 2009 iMac

Apple TV Gen2

Belkin Router

iPhone 4s

iPad2 / WiFi

• Apple ID's Match,
  • Home Sharing is on for both devices
  • I've tried restarting computer and apple tv

When i punch in my iTunes ID and passowrd on the Apple tv, it recognises the ID and logs me in, but then acts like there are no computers on the network.

I'm at a loss for what to try next..Thanks in advance.

Aug 27, 2014 7:03 AM in response to jrodman12345

Hi There-

So- I'm not exactly sure which variable worked to get my set up working but here are a few things I did-

* reset my router to factory settings and basically reloaded all the original firmware (go into your router settings through safari)

* made sure my wife's iPad was set to the correct homesharing address.

* deleted the remote app from my phone to start over once it all worked...

After pretty much setting everything to original state, it seemed to work again!

Sep 21, 2014 1:34 PM in response to mandmkb

Further frustration... So things had been working when I reset everything to defaults, then after some updates, all stopped working again. I have noticed that the Apple TV 2 DOES see the homesharing network IF I have my MBP (mid 2010) plugged in via ethernet. I do have a belching router from 2006- so maybe there's an issue in the ability of the router at this point...

At this point- there is no home share connection and no airplay capability on any of the device...bummer.

Apr 3, 2015 6:26 AM in response to mcr00k

Dear mcr00k,

What do you mean mac ID? Is that the name of your mac computer? Apple TV is connected to the iTunes store using my apple ID and our iMac is also connected to iTunes. Both, separately says they have home sharing turned on, but they do not pick up the other one. The small booklet that came with the Apple TV has not helped whatsoever. Pretty frustrated.

I restarted the Apple TV, with no change.

Help!

Apple TV will not show my computer under Home Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.