Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the maximum temperatures my Retina 15" MacBook Pro can work at?

Mine's running at 87c (according to temperature gauge app).. is that safe? I'm worried as the laptop is extremely hot and I don't want to melt anything inside! I have been working on it for a long time, probably about 12 hours give or take, and in that time I have run lots of different programs including a couple of games and the internet. I have 16GB RAM and 512SSD.
Please can someone explain what temperatures are safe to work at and also which ones are dangerous, and what do I have to do if it gets too hot? I'm not sure what to do. Could I change a setting that increases productivity of the cooling system? Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 9:54 PM

1 reply

Jan 12, 2014 9:58 PM in response to MilesRupert

100 C (212F) is the thermal limit for the intel processor in your machine. The computer will shut itself down to prevent damage if necessary. 87C is normal and within the operating temperature. Just use your machine normally and don't worry about monitoring the temperature. Make sure the back vents are well ventilated. Besides that, the firmware in your machine is very good at keeping the machine cool and dissipating heat when its performing CPU/GPU intensive processes.

What are the maximum temperatures my Retina 15" MacBook Pro can work at?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.