Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my mac book pro was running perfect an hour ago and is not very slow. I cannot even log in because I get the spinning beach ball and it is stuck at that screen forever.

?

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 9:32 PM

26 replies

Jan 12, 2014 10:43 PM in response to TheCipriani

So you have a Retina model? Boot into your Recovery partition by holding down the command and R keys whilst booting. Use Disk Utility to first repair permissions (may be a superfluous move, but do it anyway and don't worry if some permissions can't be repaired) and then select your flash drive and verify it and if it needs repair, repair it. Reboot and see if you've the same problems.

Call back,

Clinton

Jan 12, 2014 11:18 PM in response to TheCipriani

Alright, then the problem may be software related.

To eliminate the OS as the problem, boot into your Recovery partition and elect to reinstall OS X. You will lose none of your files, only having the OS install a 'fresh' copy (always best to have a backup, of course, but this is non-destructive).

Same problem?

Download, unzip and run EtreCheck and post the results in a reply here.

Call back...

Clinton

Jan 13, 2014 1:03 AM in response to TheCipriani

Then your system shouldn't even boot. You really need to get in there and delete some files or, as I suggested, buy an external drive (a 1TB is cheap these days) and move files there.

What you may want to do (it's up to you) is to buy a new, larger capacity drive to install in your machine and buy a USB enclosure for your old drive to transfer your data from it.

It's a sticky situation, for certain. How you proceed is up to you, but I'm afraid that any course (other than trashing files) is going to cost you some money.

Clinton

my mac book pro was running perfect an hour ago and is not very slow. I cannot even log in because I get the spinning beach ball and it is stuck at that screen forever.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.