Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optical drive on MacBook Pro has stopped working since upgrade to Mavericks

I upgraded to Mac OSX 10.9 almost as soon as it was released, but I only discovered two days ago that any optical disk: CD/movie DVD, DL DVD etc that I insert in to my late 2008 MacBook Pro just spins up for a few seconds, then gets ejected.

I really hope Apple have noticed this issue, because there are many other people reporting the same problem. I will have to consider reverting to Snow Leopard if a fix is not released soon.

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 2:41 AM

3 replies

Jun 2, 2014 1:44 PM in response to The Obviator

I has the same problem with my Macbook Pro after upgrading to OS X Mavericks. It ruined almost everything! My battery was overused because it has been downloading the entire night. The battery completely stopped working and I have to let a local technician remove it. The optical drive stopped working. Whenever I insert any DVD/CD into it, it just spins a bit then eject it. I called Apple care and they walked me through in resetting the SMC but it didn't fix it. Now they are asking me for a fee to fix it even the issue was caused by the OS upgrade.

Optical drive on MacBook Pro has stopped working since upgrade to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.