Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac not charging

My mac has been having trouble charging. I've recently bought a new battery and now also a new adapter for charging. However, the icon still reads 'Not Charging' and I don't think I've seen the light on the charger turn green yet (or even orange for that matter).

I've reset SMC, but I'm not sure how I can recalibrate the battery because it's never actually charging. So I can't charge it fully and then let it drain completely.

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: W032301KZ6GOA

Manufacturer: SMP

Device Name: bq20z951

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 002a

Hardware Revision: 000a

Cell Revision: 100

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 2659

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4343

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 64

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 146

Voltage (mV): 11696

I have also noticed that between me resetting SMC the mAh has gone from 2000-something to the 4343 it now is. I've read somewhere that as it gets closer to 5000 you should think about purchasing a new battery, but the one I've got now is only a couple of months old. I really hope someone can help me out, it's quite inconvenient to have to be connected to a charger the entire time.

MacBook, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 5:38 AM

Did you buy genuine Apple for both the battery and charger? Third party stuff doesn't always work well and can sometimes cause additional problems.

9 replies

Jan 13, 2014 5:51 AM in response to Strawb268

Thanks, I did keep that in the back of my mind and had contacted the supplier for a refund before posting this. However, because my Apple charger had the same results way before it croaked I still wanted to post my problem as I'm not entirely confident it's just the fake brand's charger not working as opposed to the connecting end in my laptop maybe being busted or something.

Jan 13, 2014 5:54 AM in response to wabeke

Cannot say with certainty that it is the charger, that's just what it is looking most likely at this point. Bob's advice is sound - try a genuine charger and if the problem persists, then the Apple store will do a free evaluation at the genius bar. If the battery is faulty, then after only 64 cycles, you may have grounds for arguing it was "not fit for purpose" when sold and installed.

Jan 13, 2014 5:56 AM in response to BobRz

I did not know about 3rd party chargers actually doing damage! I chose the cheaper version on the recommendation of a few friends who've also replaced mac chargers with no-name-brand chargers. The genius bar unfortunately couldn't fit me in until this Saturday evening, but I've made an appointment. Thanks for helping out!

Mac not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.