Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac book pro, a virus?

okay, hello

so i found those files in my mac and i dont know how to get rid of them.

User uploaded file

do you see

"Folders" "Images" "PDF Documents"

i cant delete them, nor i can move them.

do i need to format my mac?

or do i need to run a program to delete those files?

it only exists in the documents?

please answer.

i think it because when i moved some of my files from my VAIO laptop to my mac this happened?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), my university stuff in this mac.

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 4:47 AM

6 replies

Jan 13, 2014 9:51 AM in response to Diamanter

There are many files on your computer that you should not be able to delete. Those folders don't look like parts of the system, but it's important to understand that you should not delete files just because you don't know what they are! Further, not being able to delete files is not indicative of a malware problem, it just means you don't have permissions to do that. If these files are things you should have access to, then there must be a permissions issue. Alternately, if those files were on an external hard drive formatted as NTFS, they cannot be deleted by the Mac, as NTFS volumes cannot be modified by the Mac.

You'll need to provide more details about where these files are if you see them again.

Jan 13, 2014 9:53 AM in response to Manish Reddevil

The first thing you should know that there is no possibility of virus in mac cause it is a LINUX based OS.

Actually, it's not. Mac OS X is a Unix-based system, as is Linux. Mac OS X is not based on Linux.

Also, there actually is malware out there for the Mac. This is not a malware issue, but it's irresponsible to give someone the idea that they cannot be infected with malware at all, as that will lead to carelessness that could easily lead to an infection. See my Mac Malware Guide for more information.

Jan 13, 2014 10:04 AM in response to Manish Reddevil

Manish Reddevil wrote:

The first thing you should know that there is no possibility of virus in mac cause it is a LINUX based OS.

OSX is based on Darwin, which is partially BSD based, which is one of the unicies. It's kernel is completely diffrent to Linux distros, it shares some user-land stuff that some Linux distros have, but that's where similarties begin/end.

Mac book pro, a virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.