Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken iPads and VPP

Hi! We have had some iPads shatter. They had the paid VPP apps on them. Is it possible to wipe all of the iPads back to facorty settings and then reinstall the VPP apps?

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 11:22 AM

Hi 13DGP,

How did you deploy the VPP codes? Apple Configurator? MDM?

If Apple Configurator and if Supervised, you should try plugging the shattered iPads back into the Apple Configurator computer. You can then remove the app using Apple Configurator and then reinstall the app onto another iPad.

If you used an MDM, or if the iPads were Unsupervised, or if the VPP code was redeemed by the user's personal Apple ID then unfortuantely you will be unable to recover the VPP code and the app will need to be purchased again.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I hope it answers your question.

~Joe

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2014 11:22 AM in response to 13DGP

Hi 13DGP,

How did you deploy the VPP codes? Apple Configurator? MDM?

If Apple Configurator and if Supervised, you should try plugging the shattered iPads back into the Apple Configurator computer. You can then remove the app using Apple Configurator and then reinstall the app onto another iPad.

If you used an MDM, or if the iPads were Unsupervised, or if the VPP code was redeemed by the user's personal Apple ID then unfortuantely you will be unable to recover the VPP code and the app will need to be purchased again.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I hope it answers your question.

~Joe

Jan 14, 2014 5:47 AM in response to nsdjoey

Hi! I used Apple Configurator and a cart. Is it possible to uninstall the paid apps from all of the iPads I have it installed in and then reinstall them in a more orderly fashion? They are kind of all over the place. I would like the paid apps on the same iPads etc.

Can you send me directions on how to uninstall and then reinstall with the codes, please?

Thank you,
Debra

Jan 14, 2014 7:38 AM in response to 13DGP

Hi Debra,

See this KB article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5188?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Scroll down to "Removing apps from devices."

Removing apps from devices

If you use Apple Configurator to remove a redeemed VPP app from a supervised device, Apple Configurator marks the corresponding redemption code as available. It can be reassigned to a different device supervised by this copy of Apple Configurator for this Mac only. It is not available for redemption by other Macs or iOS devices.

If you unsupervise a supervised device, all apps will be removed from the device and the redemption codes used to install those apps will be marked available for reassignment. If you simply remove a device record from Apple Configurator, the redemption codes for any apps on that device will not be available for reassignment.

The key here is the devices must be "Supervised" in order to recover those VPP codes. If the devices are unsupervised, you can't recover the codes.

To remove the apps in Apple Configurator, plug the deivce(s) into the Configurator computer. In Apple Configurator, go to the Supervise tab. Select the device(s) you want to remove the apps from. Then click on the Apps tab and uncheck the box next to the app you want to remove. Click the refresh button to sync and the app will be removed from that device(s) and available in Apple Configurator to redeploy to another device.

More on Apple Configurator support can be found here:

http://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/1.0/

Hope this answers your question. Good luck!

~Joe

Broken iPads and VPP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.