Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with users in new home shares

We're running an X Serve with OS 10.6.8. I have one share folder '2011', that the technician before me set up, which seems to allow new users to be created within and used. When I try to create a new share folder, adding users to this share '2014' doesn't throw up errors - but user login will be impossible. I get a message along the lines of login being unavailable at this time, despite it recognising the new user and prompting for password change as prescribed in Workgroup Manager.

I need to be able to set up working shares, and don't know what I should be looking for to help troubleshoot this. Any help appreciated.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Update Combo is installed

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 6:25 AM

1 reply

Jan 13, 2014 6:35 AM in response to MacFail

When you created the 2014 share, did you enable the Automount function?

Launch Server Admin. Select the Share Points tab. Click on Share Points. Select the 2014 share point and press the Share Point tab. There is a checkbox there for Enable Automount. Check that box. A sheet will appear. Your Open Directory domain should be selected by default. Choose your protocol (likely AFP). Define the use case (User home folders...). Click OK.

When you defined the users, did you define their home folder path based on the automount share path?

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Trouble with users in new home shares

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.