Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to test a new version of FCPX

I am still using FCPX 10.0.5 (I know, I'm way behind). If I could get a newer version (one that still works with Snow Leopard), would I be able to do the following, to test it?

1. Clone my internal drive

2. Move one event/project fromt an external drive somewhere that I can find it

3. Unmount external drives where all my projects/events live.

4. Boot on the clone

5. Update FCPX

6. Open the project I moved

7. Test.

The reason I want to unmount the externals is that I have a bunch of projects and events that I prefer not to convert, incase I want to go back to 10.0.5.

One other question, when you install a new version, do al lthe projects get updated (converted)? Do just the projects get converted or are the events converted as well. Reson I ask is incase I want to go back. I have all my stuff backed up to TM, but just thought it would be easier to do it this way..

Also, If I have used Event Manager X to move events and projects so that FCPX doesn't see them, how are they updated? Do they get updated when you move them back and open the new version of FCPX?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 12GB RAM, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4s

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 5:55 AM

10 replies

Jan 13, 2014 7:00 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

The only version you can download is FCP X 10.1 but you need Mavericks which is a free update from SL.

If you don't want to update the projects and events drag them to separate folders called "Final Cut Events - Hidden" etc. ............ any different name will do ........... and FCP X won't see them.

If you ever need them again simply drag them back into the original Final Cut Events/Projects folders and they will once again be available to FCP X.

SORRY! I didn't see that you had Event Manager X which does exactly what I wrote above but more easily.

Message was edited by: Ian R. Brown

Jan 13, 2014 8:36 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

So when you are ready to use them, you drag them back. Then what? Does the conversion happen when you open the project the first time?

What actaully gets updated?

I heard that 10.1 changes sturf around completely. No more Final Cut Events folder, etc. Is that true? Are all projects converted to self-contained packages? Like iMovie does it? (or did it - its been a long time since I've used iMovie)?

Seems like moving to 10.1 is a one way move. No going back, right?

One last question. If what I am saying about 10.1 is true, how do multiple projects work with a single event? I have an event and have created several projects (movies) using different parts of that same event. How is that handled? Maybe this should be a new thread...

Thanks

Jan 13, 2014 4:31 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

Ian - I've got almost the same problem that Alfredo has and rather than start a new post, because I think the answer might clarify some of what you wrote, I'll post my situation here. However, if you think this deserves a new thread please let me know and I'll start one. Ditto for Tom.

I have read and re-read these Knowledge Based (KB) articles, read numerous posts in the Community page, and I've got a headache. I'm really confused, worried about a catastrophic event, and thoroughly worn out.

KB articles:

Final Cut Pro X 10.1: How to remove and reinstall Final Cut Pro X kb/HTS149

Final Cut Pro X: …. Installation Best Practices kb/HT4722

Final Cut Pro X: Version 10.1 release notes kb/HT4589

Final Cut Pro X: How to back up important FCPX 10.0.X files kb/HT5550

FCPX .9 Folders on separate drive (a.k.a.: "volume"?) on same computer currently look like this:

User uploaded file

Based on all the above, does this look like a good "Proposed" solution for protecting the video files from being "updated" by FCPX.1 is to put both "Events" and "Projects" folders in a folder and rename the folder:

User uploaded file

Note: The new "FCPX9 Events & Projects" folder will contain the above TWO folders and will reside on a second hard drive on the same computer with the FCPX.1 Application that is on the Solid State Drive (SSD).

The "old" FCPX.9 Application will be on the second hard drive and be re-named as "FCPX9".

At the moment, both the new .1 and the old .9 version seem to be operational (they both open up) although I haven't put anything in the .1 Library nor edited anything in .9.

Does this look like a workable plan to be able to have both the new .1 and the old .9 versions on the same computer and OPERATIONAL?

Jan 13, 2014 4:45 PM in response to Searchin99

The screen shots didn't "take" I'll try again:

This is the "pre" or FCPX.9 file folder layout:

User uploaded file

This is the "new" "Proposed" file layout where the above two folders have been put into this new folder:

User uploaded file

Note: although there is an iMovie Project folder, this folder is not involved in any way with the old .9 version nor the new .1 version, that is, unless .1 messes with it without being asked.

Jan 13, 2014 7:58 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Question: Is this enough to preserve X.9?

"Note: The new "FCPX9 Events & Projects" folder will contain the above TWO folders and will reside on a second hard drive on the same computer with the FCPX.1 Application that is on the Solid State Drive (SSD).

The "old" FCPX.9 Application will be on the second hard drive and be re-named as "FCPX9"."

User uploaded file

Note: The Application that will re-named as "FCPX9" is currently sitting on the Hard Drive, (vice the SSD), in a section called "Applications". It is NOT currently in a Folder.

Question #1: Since it is NOT in a folder should it be in one .... even though it will be re-named?

Underneath the section called "Applications" is another section called "Folders" where all the old X.9 video files [correction, Folders] are located, about a dozen of them [containing nearly 1TB of video, hence backing up is an ordeal]. Only the first folder is shown in the screen shot above.

Question #2: What do you think? .... Good to go in order to run X.9 and X.1 (on different drives but on the same computer) or do I need to do more???

Question #3: While I'm on a roll here, since the SSD drive is not very large, do you think it'd be okay to have a/some Libraries on the Hard Drive or does that open up a can of worms?

Jan 14, 2014 3:37 AM in response to Searchin99

As long as the Events and Projects folders are renamed, no version of FCP X will "see" them.

When you update FCP X it overwrites the original one in the Applications folder.

So before you update, copy the old FCP X anywhere you want and for good measure alter its name as you did.

You cam then drop it back into the Applications folder where it will sit next to 10.1, ready for immediate use.

As a belt and braces person I also keep a copy of it on another hard drive ............. I even burn it to a DVD.

Jan 14, 2014 11:02 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian - Thanks for the feedback.

As long as the Events and Projects folders are renamed, no version of FCP X will "see" them.

When you update FCP X it overwrites the original one in the Applications folder.

re the last sentence: "Tell me about it". 😉

One reason I've been so cautious is because after I re-named the X.9 version as "Final Cut Pro X 9" and downloaded the new X 10.1 (X.1) version, it replaced the old X.9 version. Apparently the re-naming wasn't enough. Perhaps the X.1 update lookd for and found the "Final Cut Pro X" part in the re-name and decided that was enough and replaced it.

This time, though, I re-named it as "Final Cut Pro X9" and moved it to the second hard drive (see screen shot in my previous post). When the new X.1 version was re-downloaded it didn't replace the re-named X.9 copy. Life is good now. But, the next part is dealing with all the X.9 Projects and Events, PLUS, I still need to be able to edit with the old X.9 Application.

Pardon moi if I'm VERY skittish at this point.

With regard to your next comments:

You cam then drop it back into the Applications folder where it will sit next to 10.1, ready for immediate use.

As a belt and braces person I also keep a copy of it on another hard drive ............. I even burn it to a DVD.

Currently (as mentioned earlier) the X.9 version is on the Hard Drive while all the other applications are on the SSD. I'll give the first sentence (above) a try because it would be much better having it on the SSD drive.

After the new X.1 version is up and running (I've yet to add a project to it's Library - that is the next thing), I'll give it a try moving it over to the SSD. I do have a copy on my MBP laptop and on my portable drive so no shortage of copies. The old Event and Project folders are something else again - they are HUGE. The worst case situation there will be as bad as having lost my hard drive several years ago. Talk about learning the need to do back-ups the hard way!

The "burning it to a DVD" idea sounds good. That would free up some disk space. Getting some of the edits finished on my old Projects so they can be burned to DVDs will also be good, that way even more disk space can be freed up.

I know Jobs & Co. would like to rent space in the Cloud but I'm not ready to go there just yet. DVDs are cheap and easy so even making duplicate copies is do-able.

Thanks for the DVD idea. Hadn't thought about that. Guess I was too mired down is trying to get things updated.

Jan 14, 2014 11:20 AM in response to Searchin99

I have got the old and new versions of FCP X in my apps folder and I can open and use either one.

Updating your projects/events will take up virtually no extra space.

Your old projects/events may take up 500GB and when you update them, the new ones will also claim to be 500GB ......... BUT, you only have one lot of 500GB as the new and old projects/events are merely referencing the same original media.

I don't put copies of FCP X on DVD to save space as the app is only 2GB.

I use a DVD in case all my HDDs suddenly went kaput.

Best way to test a new version of FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.