Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail keeps asking for password

Today, my wife's Mail on her iMac keeps asking for smtp password and won't send mail (although it will receive mail). When I enabled her mail account on my laptop, it sent mail without asking for the password.

I restarted Mail — no change

I restarted her computer — no change. Still can't send mail. Couldn't even forward mail she just received.

I'm stumped for what to do.

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 6:54 AM

9 replies

Jan 13, 2014 7:18 AM in response to nbar

Not sure what you're asking. When she enters the password (when asked) it simply asks again, saying that the server rejected the password (which is the same one for her mail account on my computer, which works!) So it doesn't seem to be a password problem, per se, but rather something unique (just today!) with her iMac.

Tried reentering password on her computer:Mail:Preferences:account with no change.

Jan 13, 2014 11:39 AM in response to seventy one

We're in the US. Our ISP is wildblue which uses gmail pop servers for email.

We have two email accounts, Mine is functioning normally.

Her was, until this morning

The weird thing, as I mentioned, is that my wife's email works normally when I enable it on my laptop. But on her iMac it's totally disfunctional: will not receive or send mail; repeatedly asks for the password but claims the servers (both popmail and smtp) will not accept the password.

I've gone the Keychain route, followed Help tips but nothing changes.

Jan 14, 2014 4:08 AM in response to seventy one

I'm afraid that speaking to a US ISP is rather chancy. I may get a person in southeast Asia who will almost certainly not help resolve the issue. They would claim that the fact that it works on 2 other devices means that it's not an ISP problem—it must be a MacOS problem on this oarticular Mac.

There are many Discussions threads on this password problem: Quite a few experience it, but I've seen no one who has definitively solved it. Some report that Mail mysteriously resumed working, but usually only temporarily. My wife's mail account works on both my Macbook and also on her iPad, but not on her iMac—this happened overnight: i.e., it was working when she finished using it the other evening; iMac slept overnight; next morning: Password "hades" (stupidly, one can't even write the standard English word "****" — HELLO!.

Incidentally, at first, it was only the smtp server that asked but wouldn't accept the password. The popmail.com sent mail in, but only for a short time. Since then, no inmail, no outmail. It's extremely frustrating. Apple must know about it but clearly doesn't have a general fix. That's why they have Discussions: so that users have to solve their problems.

Mail keeps asking for password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.