Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipod Nano generation 7 shuts down unexpectedly while using the NIKE app, has anyone experienced this problem?

My ipod Nano generation 7 shuts down unexpectedly while using the NIKE app, has anyone experienced this problem?

iPod nano

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 8:30 AM

9 replies

Jan 24, 2014 3:44 AM in response to lfoster615

Hi lfoster615 and LindaG7.

I went to the Genius Bar and they reset to Factory using a Mac (i'm a windows user), and re-install the 1.0.3 Version. I've done this previously but using my PC and it didn't worked,

When i arrived at home and connected it to my Pc, i had to recover my ipod Again with the 1.0.3 version that was in my computer because the ipod was formated due to using MAC at the genius Bar

I wasn't happy with this solution, as i thought that the problem started with my upgrade to versio 1.0.3, so i've downgraded the ipod nano to version 1.0.2.

I found in my computer iPod_1.0.2_37A20067.ipsw and iPod_1.0.2_37A20067.ipsw.signature. I've also iPod_1.0.3_37A30172.ipsw and iPod_1.0.3_37A30172.ipsw.signature at the route C:/users/(username)/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/iTunes/Ipod Software Updates. So i moved the 1.0.3 files out of the directory. disconnected the PC from Internet. Run the Itunes app and press the restore Ipod Button. It gived me an error about the Internet Connection, and then asked me if i wanted to downgrade Ipod to version 1.0.2. I said yes and did it.

Today i made a trainning 30 minuted, and everything works perfect. The Ipod didn't reset, the run was recorded and i uploaded to Nike+ webpage.

I don't know if the solution was the restored to factory defaults done at the Genius Bar, The change of format Windows-Mac, Mac-Windows, or the down-grade to version 1.0.2. But it seems to worked.

It was just one run. I'll test it a little bit more and i'll post if it is fixed.

Dec 6, 2014 7:48 AM in response to lfoster615

This is not a problem I have only had with 7th gen. iPod. I have had this problem with the 5th gen. It goes back a few years. Nike and Apple are aware of this. Nothing has been done. It appears that when the iPod voice commences (whether to update you on the status of your run) and you touch a button to prompt a mileage update or song change yourself (or even brush the device wrong when taking off a jacket), the operating system overloads and cannot sort it out. It then shuts down and reboots. Your mileage is lost. So sorry. Have a nice day.

Love the other aspects of running with a nano (small and light weight). I can keep it high and dry and out of the way. Like the software. Use it almost everyday. Hate the unknown dropped runs. I have logged over 2,000 miles with these devices. Today I lost another 3 miles - probably the 30-40th time it has happened. Frustration is somewhere between time for another device to time for another system - Map My Run indeed!

This probably occurs with my iPod once or twice a month. Went to the Apple Store - three times. The first time was maybe two years ago and they first tried some magic dust and then on the second visit, they swapped out my nano - it was a bit flimsy. The problem returned. I then upgraded. The problem returned. The third time they did a reset and it seemed to help. Then, it returned. But to download an older software version, verify the fidelity of the UBS cable, jump from computer to computer, make a trip to the Apple store, and perform so many two steps on one leg just to get what we paid for seems . . . well, lame. And, Apple told us the thingy would work using all the different computers and software (Vista, Nike, etc. etc.).

Oh, one other thing. The Apple Store told me to complain to Nike. Nike said their software is fine. This is like dealing with General Motors or the government - but, worse. Not my problem man. See the guy over there. Got it.

I note that no one from Apple is jumping in the chain here with a fix. So much for customer exuberance. Generally like Apple. We have about 20 Apple devices in our family (desktops, portables, phones, pods, tablets) and are lining up for the watches . . . but, maybe Apple is an idea who time has come and gone, . . . like the wind.

Apr 7, 2015 12:46 PM in response to lfoster615

Same problem. Nano 7th gen. 2 months old. Reboots whenever I run a new personal best and loses all the data for the run. Nike says it's Apple's problem. Apple says ....have you tried restoring the software? Really? If I wanted to dick around restoring software I'd buy a cheap ****** $30 mp3 player not a $150 one. Have *you* looked online and found this is a problem that's been going on for years? They swapped the nano out today. Let's see what happens.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.